53 - Moral Support

Not edited yet

THE PAST

The three of them were lying on Jordy's king size bed, surrounded by an abundance of pillows. The window was open, inviting a cool breeze inside the room. 

The open window didn't influence the volume to which they were singing along with Summer Nights. Even when Jordy hadn't lived in a detached house, the girls probably wouldn't have cared. 

Watching Grease together had became a habit. Jordy loved to watch so she could swoon over John Travolta, Shawna because she enjoyed the songs so much and June... June had always silently imagined that she was Sandy and that Juan was Danny, hoping that they would become a couple together too one day, despite their different groups of friends. 

It was weird to watch the movie again now, knowing that those fantasies had come true. He was her boyfriend now, for two weeks. 

That June wasn't the only one translating the movie to her own life, became clear when Jordy suddenly sat up straight and clutched a big pillow to her stomach. 

"Tomorrow I'm just gonna do it."

For a moment June waited for an explanation, but when Jordy didn't elaborate she asked: "What are you going to do tomorrow?"

"Having that date. With Emilio. I'll just go to his house and pick him up. He isn't answering my texts anyway."

June didn't know what to answer. She still wanted to talk the idea out of Jordy's head, but for some incomprehensible reason she really liked the guy. "You already know what you're going to do?"

"My plan for action is ready for two weeks now," she answered with a smirk. "I'm sure we're gonna have fun, as long as I can convince him to come with me."

"Can't you uh... you can't you think of someone... nicer to do those things with?" Shawna muttered. She stared at the blankets. 

June bit her lip. It wasn't easy for Shawna either. Although he had addressed plenty of nasty remarks to June, Shawna was his laughing stock for much longer. He always made comments about her seize, took her food away and he had even snatched a bill out of her hand once, when she was about to buy lunch. 

Jordy studied her face. "Well... I'm sure every other guy is nicer." Sighing, she dropped down on the bed, rubbing her face. "I just can't get him out of my head. It's driving me crazy! Maybe it will help when he slams the door into my face."

June doubted that. She already knew that he was a dick. There was no need for a door in her face to discover that. 

"You know... It's not like he's just hot, or that I just want to know what it's like to have sex with him. When I was sitting on his lap the other day... my heart was racing like crazy. And I know I've had a thing for half of the school... but there aren't a lot of guys who had that effect on me."

June cringed. Great. She didn't think Emilio was just hot; it sounded like she had seriously fallen for him. 

"What? You've been sitting on his lap?" With wide eyes, Shawna turned to her friend. 

"June was meeting Juan's friends in El Torro and she had asked me to join her. To keep Emilio busy, I think," she answered with a slight smirk. 

It wasn't even untrue, June realized. That day she had indeed hoped that Emilio would aim his attention to Jordy instead of her, since she could deal much better with him. 

"I was late and there were no empty seats. June was on Juan's lap, and Emilio was sitting next to him so I thought that was a good excuse to flop down on his lap. He didn't exactly like it, but still... I just can't stop thinking about how it felt to be so close to him." With a sigh, she raised herself on her elbows. "I know that it's hopeless. But I just can't stop hoping that he might like me one day. Even though I know it's stupid and that I will never stand a chance."