Chapter 23

I open the envelope that I know my plane ticket will be in. It came just in time. I wipe my eyes, trying to rid any falling tears.

I'm flying out to London tonight. I've never been on a plane before and I have to go alone.

I want to see Harry as soon as I get there. He said he couldn't be at the airport because he was helping Gemma and his dad plan everything out.

He hasn't told me how he feels about Anne's passing. Every time I try to talk to him about it he changes the subject completely.

"Leah?", my dad walks into the room. I hide the plane ticket behind my back. He looks at me oddly. "What are you hiding?", his expression grim.

I wasn't planning on telling him that I'm going to London but I guess now I have to.

I hand him the ticket. He looks at it for a moment, before looking back at me, his face full of confusion. "A plane ticket to London?", he asks. Then suddenly his facial features contort somewhat. He looks scared. "You are not going to London for that boy", he says sternly.

I sigh. "It's not like that Dad", I look at my feet. "Then what is it?", he raises his voice slightly. "His mom passed away and I'm going to her funeral", I continue to look at my feet. I wipe under my eyes. His breath hitches, I can hear it. I look up at him. His eyebrows crease together and he almost looks like he's about to cry. But he pulls it together, shakes it off like nothing happened.

He sits on the bed next to me. I know he has to be somewhat upset. He went out with Anne for a short time. He surprises me when he puts his arm around my shoulder. "Give his family my condolences", he says. I look up at him. He nods. He's going to let me go, no more questions asked. I can tell.

When dad leaves the room I begin packing. I don't really know how long I'll be in London. I don't know when Harry will come back. I can't be there for more than four days because if I miss anymore school I won't be able to graduate with all the other seniors. I don't know. I'm just going to have to see how it all works out.

I decide on packing three days and two nights worth of things. If I happen to stay longer I can borrow something from Gemma, I guess. I carefully fold my black dress for Anne's funeral. I wipe my eyes again and put it into the suitcase. I make sure to keep my passport close so I don't forget it. I got it last week when Harry called me and told me to get one soon. He knew Anne didn't have much time.

I finish packing quickly because I want to be at the airport for 4:00pm. My flight departs at 6:00pm.

I'm really getting nervous. Harry told me not to worry about the plane ride. He said it would be a smooth ride. It's a straight flight. I'm grateful for that. If we stopped I would probably get lost or something. He did warn me about jet leg. The flight is 9 hours. I leave the Seattle airport at 6:00pm so that would make me arrive at 3:00am but there are time zones. I'm really going to get to London at 11:00am GMT. It's so confusing.

A couple hours later, my dad walks back into my room. "You want me to take you to the airport so you don't have to leave your car there?", he asks. I was going to have Ellie bring me but since my dad asked I'll let him take me. "Sure, thanks", I nod.

**********

Dad drives into the parking lot at the airport and parks his car. Do you know how everything works? You've never been on a plane before or been through any airport procedures. "Harry told me about them. I'll figure it out", I say. He nods and turns off the car. "I'll walk you in?", I don't think he means for it to come out as a question. "Okay", I give him a smile.

He helps me with my suitcase and leads me into the doors. It's weird that a little more than a month ago I was in my dad's position. God, I miss Harry. I just want to comfort him and hug him and kiss him and.. "Leah", my dad interrupts my thoughts. "Hmm", I hum. This is as far as I can go. I didn't realize how far we walked. "Oh", I say. I step into the baggage check line. "Be safe okay? Call me if you need anything", he says, kissing my forehead. I'm surprised by his affection. "I will. Love you", I say. He smiles, waving goodbye. I watch him walk out of the front entrance.