Chapter 15

H: You.
Oh.
My heart pounds in my chest. I lock my phone and place it on the counter. Ellie looks at me with confusion.
"What did he say?", she asks. I might as well tell her because he could have meant something other than my first thought.
"Me", I reply. Her eyes widen. "Oh shit", she laughs. "He like totally wants you. He really wants you to give him your virginity", she laughs, smacking her palm on the counter top. My cheeks heat.
"Ellie he probably doesn't mean it like that. He could just mean me because he wants to be with me all tomorrow. Like he doesn't need anything else...", I trail off. That's sounds so incredibly cheesy.
Ellie continues to laugh. "You're so innocent Leah", she giggles. I frown and cover my cheeks with my hands, trying to hide the redness.
Ellie laughs again. "Look we can go get him something but he's not going to want it", Ellie says. "It doesn't matter. I'm getting him something. I mean I have to", I explain.
She frowns. "Why spend money if all he wants is you?", she questions. My heart swells at the sentence. All he wants is me.
"He already has me", I confess. Her eyes widen slightly. "So you guys really are dating then?", she questions. I take a deep breath. "I guess..", I sigh. I feel like we are. I just don't know if he feels that way.
"Alright well c'mon. If you want to spend your money on some cheap cologne, let's go", Ellie giggles, walking around the counter towards me. "I'm not going to get him some cheap cologne", I frown.
"Okay well let's go find something", she winks. She bumps her shoulder on mine and grabs my keys, giggling.
I still don't know what to get him. Maybe I should just get him a gift card..or not. I squeeze my eyes shut but I don't have much time to think because Ellie pulls me off of the bar stool.
"Leah I'll help you think of something. Okay?", she smiles, reading my thoughts. "Alright", I nod. She grabs my hand and pulls me towards the door.

***

When we get to the mall we sit in the car for a few minutes. "Any ideas?", I ask. She looks at me. "You know him better than I do. You have any ideas?", she smiles. I shrug my shoulders and lean my head back onto the head rest.
C'mon Leah think. I honestly have no idea. "Well let's not just sit here and think let's go look around", Ellie says, interrupting my thoughts. I nod and open up my door.
We walk up to the entrance. This mall isn't that great but I don't know where else to go.
We walk around for awhile until we come across a little cart. It has jewelry for men and women on it. I don't know, I just get a feeling when I see this necklace with a cross pendant on it.
Ellie squints at the necklace in my hand. "That?", she questions. "He doesn't come across as a churchy kind of guy", she giggles. "He does have a cross tattoo", I reply, dryly. She makes a face.
I look at the necklace. I don't know. It's just a feeling I have. I feel like it would fit him well. I feel like he would really like it.
Ellie shrugs her shoulders. "Whatever you want." I look at the necklace one more time, before deciding to purchase it.
I pay for the necklace. It's not to expensive. The owner puts it into a little grey box and hands it to me. "Thank you", I say. He nods and smiles.
"Well there you go", Ellie says. "Yeah", I say. I don't think I want to get anything else. I feel like this will be perfect. I don't know how or why but I'm suddenly feeling very confident.
Ellie and I walk back to the car. I can feel tension between us and I'm not sure why.
She doesn't speak on the whole ride home.

***

When we get home she leaves the car immediately. "Ellie?", I yell but she's already inside. What the hell? Is she mad at me?
I close my car door and walk in after her. She's sitting on the couch with the remote in her hand. "Ellie what's wrong?", I question. I put my things down and sit next to her. "Nothing", she forces a smile.
"Ellie stop pretending and just tell me what's wrong", I say firmly. She places the remote down. "No, because you'll say I'm over exaggerating", she sighs. "Ellie", I push.
"Look I'm just kind of pissed that you brought me along just to turn down everything I said. I frown. "Ellie I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just wanted something I knew he would like." She sighs. "See I told you, you would think I'm over exaggerating."
"I don't. I didn't mean to upset you", I try. She really is over exaggerating but I'm not going to say anything.
"Okay whatever. Forget it", she says. She picks the remote up and continues to look through channels. I sigh and lean back onto the couch.
Her attitude changes so quickly. Sometimes it's hard to deal with it.