Chapter 30

"You didn't have to be so rude", Harry finally says after ten minutes of silence. I have the urge to slap him. Instead I glare at him.

His jaw tenses but his eyes stay on the road. I look back at Gemma, who sits silently behind us. She shrugs her shoulders.

"Leah you could say something", Harry says through his teeth. I whip my head around to face him again. "Harry..", I warn. "What? Leah what?", he furrows his eyebrows. I'm slightly taken back by his tone. I swallow hard. "You have no right to be mad at me. But let me tell you something. I have EVERY right to be angry with you. God, Harry I want to smack you right now!", I hit my hands on the dashboard. I widen my eyes at my sudden outburst. "Who cares that I didn't say that we were dating? I was trying to make it less awkward!", he glares at the road like he could murder it. If that was possible anyway. "You were the one who was so rude that she left crying! What the hell got into you. And now you want to try to blame me for fighting with you?! You're overreacting Leah", Harry adds.

I sit silent for a moment. In the rearview mirror I can see Gemma's mouth slightly agape. I bite my lip roughly. Okay so maybe I shouldn't have been to rude to the girl. It was like my mouth acted before my brain. In normal circumstances I would never tell someone they weren't wanted or to "get the hell away please". I feel my cheeks heat at the memory.

"Harry I was so jealous. God dammit Harry. I was stunned that you introduced me as you're "friend". I shouldn't have said what I said. You're right but you know I do care. It hurts that you didn't say we were dating", I look at him but he keeps his eyes glued to the road. "Were?", he raises his eyebrows. "Harry stop trying to change the subject. You know what I meant", I roll my eyes. He shakes his head. I take a deep breath. "Leah I told you I just didn't want to make it weird. But you blew everything out of proportion", he sighs.

I exhale in defeat. He's got me. I definitely won't win this fight. "I'm sorry", I frown. He finally glances at me and places a tentative hand on my thigh. "I just... I thought you were ashamed of me", I whisper. His eyes soften and he licks his full lips. "Baby, I could never be ashamed of you. You mean the world to me. I didn't do it to upset you", he has to look at the road again. My stomach drops. I'm such a horrible person.

"Do you still want me to take you home or do you want to come to Gemma's like we planned?", he says softly. "I'll go to Gemma's", I say. He takes a left turn instead of a right.

"Harry..I..", I start. "Leah it's okay. I get it. You were jealous", he shakes his head. "You don't need to be. There's no one but you. Only you", he glances at me again. My heartbeat quickens. "I'm awful. I'm so sorry", I frown. "You're not awful. It's okay Leah, really", he rubs my thigh soothingly.

I've kind of forgotten about Gemma back there. I turn around in my chair. She looks stunned at what just went down. "Sorry Gemma", I say. "Yeah sorry you had to hear all that Gem", Harry agrees. "S'okay", she pulls a fake smile. This is supposed to be about her, not us.

When Harry pulls into her parking lot there is still an awkward silence throughout the car. No one dared to mess with the radio. We all get out quietly. Harry helps Gemma with her suitcase while she fumbles through her purse for the key. I offer to help Harry but he shakes his head. "I'm fine", he says.

We make it up the steps when Gemma finally digs her key out. "I was starting to worry", she says with a flushed face. She unlocks the door quickly. We are welcomed with what I can clearly recognize. Anne's scent, her sweet perfume. Harry and Gemma stop short in their tracks. I watch Gemma swallow slowly. "Home sweet home", she says under her breath.

Harry puts her suitcase in her bedroom. "Thanks", she mumbles when he returns.

"Are you guys still up for hanging out or..", Harry says suddenly. "No, I mean yeah I'm up for it", I nod at Harry. I don't want things to be weird between us. "I am", Gemma nods as she yawns. Watching her yawn makes me yawn. Then Harry yawns. All three of us fall into a mess of giggles. "Maybe after a nap? Jet leg is a bitch", Harry says. "Yes let's do that", Gemma smiles groggily.