Chapter 6

I watch Harry's car pull away. I then cover my face with my hands and slide down the door until I'm in the seated position. Harry makes me feel something that I can't explain. I just haven't decided if it's good or bad yet.
I stand and walk up stairs. I haven't done any homework. This really isn't like me but all I want to do is go to sleep. I'll do it tomorrow in study period.

***

The week goes by slow. I'm so happy I'm off for Christmas break now. Harry calls on Thursday to tell me about the party. He says it's Saturday and starts at 9pm. It's at a frat house close to the campus. The whole idea makes me really nervous. I'm really thinking about backing out. He says he'll stay with me but I don't really believe him. I mean he has so many friends there and I don't know anyone.
I can't back out though. I need to get out of my comfort zone. I need to loosen up. I'm not going to act like the normal partier but I can still have fun. Right?
He tells me to dress however I want. I don't like this because I like things to be exact. I feel like I could either over dress or under dress. I mean with my luck I would wear exactly what not to wear. I know I'm overthinking but I can't help it.
He says he'll pick me up for 8 Saturday night. I'd rather not get there early but I don't tell him anything. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to tell my dad. He usually stays in Saturday nights.

***

Friday night is when I tell my dad. I knock on his bedroom door and he tells me to come in. I walk in and get right to it. "Hey dad, um I..I'm going to a party tomorrow night." I honestly have no idea what he's going to say. He surprises me when he starts laughing. "You? You're going to a party?", he laughs.
He's clearly making fun of me and I'm getting upset. Why does he have to be such a jerk? "That's what I said", I tell him firmly. He must see I'm upset. He stops laughing. "Oh, um well what do you want me to say?" "I'm almost 18 and I can handle myself. I just wanted to let you know.", I tell him. "Who's party?", he asks. I honestly have no idea. "Um it's Mel's", I lie. I feel bad lying but what am I supposed to tell him. "Oh ya I have no idea who's party it is and I'm going with the boy you pushed over in our house". That's not going to happen.
"Okay", he says. "Thanks for letting me know." He isn't the kind of dad that disagrees with everything. If he yelled at me and said no to this party that would mean he actually cares. I know he doesn't so he agreed. "Thanks", I tell him and walk out of his door.
I go upstairs and look in my closet. I usually get compliments on my clothes at school, but this is different. I pull out two sweaters that I like best. One is navy blue and the other is maroon. They would both go good with black jeans and my black boots. I don't know people may think I'm weird if I wear black and black.
My mind drifts to Harry. He always wears black and black. I look at the sweaters again and decide on the maroon one. I place the other back on the closet and begin to change out of my clothes. I'm tired, as usual. I turn the lamp on beside my bed and lay down. I try reading for a little while but I fall asleep.
I wake to a crash downstairs. My eyes pop open and I sit up. I hear another crash and I run. Halfway down the stairs I trip a little. It causes me to skip a step but I catch myself. I get to the end of the stairs and take a deep breath.
One of the kitchen cabinets has fallen to the floor and my dad's hands are covering his face. God, I was so scared. How did the cabinet fall? I walk to him and he takes his hands off of his face. "What the fuck?", he laughs. I can't help but laugh with him. It feels so good to laugh with him. It's been forever.
"What happened?", I ask when we settle down. "I went to open it and it just fucking fell!", he laughs again. God, it feels so good to see him laugh. I can't help it when I go to him. I wrap my arms around him and squeeze.
His immediate reaction is to pull back but I squeeze him harder. He gives in and wraps his arms around me. We stand there for about 10 seconds until I let him go. He's actually smiling and I think I'm going to cry. "Hey um you want to do something today?", he says, surprising me. "What do you mean?", I ask. "You want to go get lunch or something in a little while?", he smiles a little. "I would love to dad", I'm beaming. He glances away. He's not good at this. "Okay we'll leave around 12. I need to clean this up right now", he says pointing to the mess on the ground. "Okay", I say and walk back upstairs. I feel incredible. God, I hope it can stay like this.
When I get upstairs I lay back down. It's only 6:45. I try to fall back asleep but I can't, I'm to happy.
Around 8 I get up and make myself a bowl of cereal. The cabinet is still on the floor. "I'm so pissed all those cups broke", my dad says from the other room. I didn't even think about the things inside. That's the "mess" he must have cleaned. "I know that sucks!", I yell to him. I'm so happy right now. We never talk and now he wants to take me to lunch. When I'm done I go back upstairs.
At 12 I meet my dad outside. He's already in his car. I get in and we drive a little while before he asks "where do you want to eat?" I tell him about the small diner a couple miles away and he agrees.
When we get there we pick a booth by the window to sit at. We order, and stay quiet awhile. When our foods comes there is a couple of mumbles and we make tiny conversation. I didn't ever think it would be awkward to talk to my dad but it kind of is.
When the check comes he says, "you have your money right?" My eyes widen. "Kidding", he says. Humor? I giggle and he laughs. We both have things to work on but I really hope it all turns out okay.
On the drive back home I turn on the radio. He makes a couple of jokes and we both laugh. I miss his corny jokes so much. I could really get used to this.
When we arrive home, I hop out of the car and follow him to the front door. He stops before opening it. "Thank you for coming to lunch with me Leah. It means a lot it really does. I'm really trying. I know I have to change.", he looks at his shoes. "I do care about you and I'm sorry I'm such a dickhead.", he looks at me a smiles a little. "That's what I've been wanting to hear for a long time.", I tell him and we walk inside.