Chapter 18

Harry's hasn't answered any of my calls. I've called him 5 times and left 2 voicemails. It's nearly 1am now and I have to go back to school tomorrow. I can't afford to miss another day with testing just around the corner.

I'm going to try again later this afternoon but right now I'm exhausted. I plug my phone into the charger and lie down. I try to block out Ellie's snoring in the next room. I squeeze my eyes shut and pray Anne is okay.

I wake up a minute before my alarm is scheduled to go off. I brace myself for the noise but jump anyway. I hit the snooze button and lie back down. I really need to get up but I'm exhausted.

I groan when the overhead light turns on. "Oh sorry", I hear Ellie say. "Why aren't you awake?", she asks, sitting on my bed. I turn towards her, shielding my eyes. "I'm getting up. I'm just really tired", I say. "How late did you stay up trying to reach him?", she asks. "I went to sleep around 2am", I say.

"Leah", Ellie sighs. I shrug my shoulders, sitting up. My eyes are finally adjusted to the light. "Well I'll go make you something to eat, while you get ready", Ellie says. "Thanks", I smile. She stands and walks towards the stairs. "Bacon and toast okay with you?", she asks. "Yes", I nod. She walks down the stairs.

I push the blankets off and stand up. I stretch my arms and crack my knuckles, which is a bad habit of mine.

I running a little late now so I move quicker than usual. Ellie is ready, she just isn't dressed yet. She always gets up earlier than necessary.

Once my hair and makeup is done, I go downstairs to eat. As soon as I open my bedroom door the delicious smell overcomes me. I hurry down the stairs to eat.

Ellie stands by the counter, shoving a piece of bacon into her mouth. "Real good", she giggles, licking her finger. I roll my eyes and sit down on the bar stool.

She slides over a plate. "Thanks", I say, reaching for a piece of toast and some bacon. I eat quickly, not wanting to run late.

***

School drags out. I check my phone each period but see nothing. I understand that he's spending time with his mom, but he just.. abandoned me. He said he would call but he hasn't.

Someone taps my shoulder, surprising me. I jump slightly and turn around in my desk. "Sorry didn't mean to startle you", a boy I vaguely recognize says. He makes a face. "It's fine", I say simply. He holds out a pencil before me. "You dropped this", he smiles slightly. "Oh", I blush. At this point everything startles me and it's embarrassing.

I take the pencil from the boy. "Thanks", I smile. I turn back around without another word. I set the pencil on my desk.

Mr. Jennings then walks in. I slip my cell phone back into my book bag. AP English is one of the hardest subjects I've taken. I've never been good at English though.

When the final bell rings, I jump out of my seat. I want to find Harry. Mr Jennings stops me before I walk out the class. I jump slightly. I turn around, looking questionably at him. He hands me two pieces of paper with my name printed on them. "This is due tomorrow. If you were here yesterday you would have had more time", he sighs. "Oh", I nod. I quickly scan the paper. "Thanks", I say, walking out of the classroom.

He handed me instructions on how to write a four page essay on Shakespeare's "Macbeth". If this thing is due tomorrow I'm not going to have anytime to talk to Harry today. I'll be up all night doing this. We didn't even finish reading the play yet. I hold the paper tightly in my hands, walking towards the parking lot.

As I approach my car, I see Ellie waiting there. "Where were you?", she asks. "Mr. Jennings was giving me an assignment I missed yesterday, sorry", I say. She shrugs her shoulders.