Chapter 26

The Court of Olympus looked the same as ever, except it was busier than usual. All the gods and goddesses that could enter had gathered around the hugh white block of marble Zeus called a table. Of course, he was sitting at the far end in a golden throne while the others sat on golden stools on the sides. Demeter walked into the place, finding everyone had come there before her. Her face turned grim.

'I see', she said. 'I didn't just get any invitation, now, did I? I am the main event.'

'Please, Demeter', Aphrodite said sternly, 'you are killing them, the mortals. You need to stop this.'

'I will not', she bellowed, her broken voice echoing against the marble walls. 'It has been seven months since he took her from me!' Her eyes went up to the supreme god and she squinted. 'Have you gone to see him? Have you done anything?' Zeus awkwardly shifted in his chair.

'I have gone to see him', he said, clearing his throat. 'She is to become his queen.' Angrily she stared him down as the others looked at him in disbelief.

'You have given him my daughter? She was not yours to give!' He lifted his hands, literally weighing her words.

'She kinda is - you see - as I'm her father. I asked him nicely to bring her back, but he won't.' Seething, Demeter hit the enormous chunk of marble with her fist and it broke under her sorrow and devastation. In awe the gods and goddesses looked at the crack that divided the table in two and back up to the goddess of Harvest.

'Mankind will die out because of your mistake', she bellowed, anger blazing in her green eyes. 'And there is nothing to be done anymore. I will not be merciful, I will not bow down to you. They will starve, they will thirst, and I will weep for them while they march to that wretched kingdom of his!' With those words she disappeared and the remaining divinities watched Zeus, waiting for his reaction. Nothing happened.

'Tartarus?' one of them peeped. Zeus sat back, pondering his next move. He dismissed the idea of sending Demeter to Tartarus - and it would not have any use sending Hades there as it was his domain already.

Humming a song Persephone was sitting in the castle garden. She enjoyed touching the black flowers, colouring them for a moment, and letting them go. They didn't wither and die, they just turned back to black. Sometimes she would touch several flowers at once, brushing her black canvas with her fingers and watching the wave of colour fade out again.

'I didn't think you'd be here', Minthe said. Persephone was getting tired of hearing her voice. If she were to become queen, Minthe would be one of the first things she would dispose of. With a deep sigh she climbed to her feet and straightened her back.

'Where else would I be?' she asked, bored with the nymph already.

'I thought you'd be talking about Zeus' plans with the Master.' Minthe forced a tiny smile. Persephone folded her arms, an incredulous glint in her eye.

'Zeus was here?'

'Well, yes. Two times already. He is looking for you.' Colour rose to Persephone's cheeks. Minthe smiled a most deviant smile. She took her silence as an invitation and sat down on the black marble bench. Persephone didn't move.

'Whenever Hermes has a 'gift' for Him, it means His brother has come to see Him.' Persephone's eyes widened unwillingly.

'Would that be all?'

'No.' She studied her fingernails. 'Don't get me wrong, I thought you knew all this.' Yeah, right, Persephone could see the shock of disbelief in her eyes. 'The Supreme Master needs you to return to the mortal realm, but Hades told him He wouldn't let you leave. He is planning on marrying you. Zeus wanted a dowry. I know you'd think the Master would give up his Kingdom for you in exchange - but Zeus left with a single bracelet.' Persephone snorted.

'Is that all?' Persephone was getting tired with her unfounded gossip. Minthe nodded, pleased with herself, and got up.

'I guess that a single bracelet is indeed all you're worth. What you will do next is up to you - but if I were you, I'd be super fast. Before it's too late. He will trick you in order to keep you down here.'

'I'm not easily tricked', Persephone seethed, only wanting to rip Minthe's pretty head off her body.

'That is what they all say. That is how they get into His wagers.'

With gleeful excitement Minthe saw Persephone storm off, as though she saw everything coming together. Little did she know Persephone had made some decisions for herself already. The goddess of Spring walked into the Castle, looking for Hades. She found him in his bedroom, where he sat in front of the fire. She knew Minthe followed, but she couldn't care less.

Persephone knelt down beside him, booring her eyes into his. She saw his brow furrowing expecting bad news. He always expected bad news, to be honest. Her heart ached for him, knowing he never truly expected bright colours in his dark mind. 

'Hades', she heard herself say with the same soft voice she recognised as that of the other, more mature gods. 'Has Zeus been here for me?' Anguish clouded his eyes and he dropped his head so he could regain his composure before looking into her eyes. 'Look at me', she demanded, placing her hand on his.

'I'm sorry', he whispered, sincere regret in his eyes. She shook her head, a faint smile on her face. She wasn't going to scorn or scold him. She felt Minthe's presence at the door, she was not going to do her the favour. Besides, she didn't feel anger. It was something else entirely. 

'It's okay', she said. 'I know why you didn't tell me. Maybe I would've done the same... but I need you to be honest with me from now on. I won't hold it against you. Any of it.' 

'Do you know why he was here?' he asked, hope glittering in his rainy blue eyes.

'I don't know, Hades', she sighed. 'Do you wish to tell me?' It wasn't so much a question as a demand. He nodded shyly and she felt like a senior next to him. She wanted to cradle him and stroke his dark hair. Her soul could burst out of her body out of the sheer love she felt for him. She bent over to him and kissed his lips. Surprised he accepted the gesture, without immediately answering the heed. She knew they would be fine. She was certain of it.