Chapter 51

Hades wasn't all Demeter liked to believe, but so was Persephone. Sitting on the black slate steps to the Tartarus mansion she revelled in the sight before her. Hades had tried to keep her away from that place, scared for her fragile soul, but he was wrong. Her soul was divine and not only that - she was a whole lot stronger than he had ever thought. She remembered the agonised cries from desperate lips,  the ones that had drawn her to this place. She remembered the pained and hollow sighs when she first made her way Down.

Those sounds were not made by the souls in Tartarus.

The creatures there had one thing in common, and one thing only. They insulted the Twelve Great Ones and their offspring. Some of them were arrogant to the point of stupidity, others heroic to the point of arrogance. No one Below in the shadowy valley of Tartarus was actually evil. Even the Ancient Ones, even Kronos who actually ate her loved one, she didn't think them to be evil. Arrogant to the point of stupidity.

She saw a faint glowing light moving through the crevices of the red desert-like lands. It was one of the ancient philosophers who was sentenced to eternally chase after literal enlightenment. He'd lost his mind hundreds of years ago.

'Thought you might be here,' his soft voice spoke. Persephone didn't turn around, but smiled at her view. Hades sat down beside her, his thigh against hers. He felt warm, homely.

'I love you,' she said, looking up at him with a sincere look in her eyes. A slow smile curled his lips. She meant it. She hadn't known it the moment they met, she had never longed for a serious relationship with God or mortal men alike, she didn't desperately seek out someone to hold at night. It had grown on her last Winter, between the pages of his thick novels and during walks to the bathhouse, like green moss on tree bark. It happened between the way he looked at her, the games they played and the calmness that swirved around him, always. It had grown in the heat of his fingertips, the moments he challenged her and the way he took care of her. Winter had become her favourite season.

'I love you, too.' Persephone liked the way his lips moved pronouncing the words. She liked that he didn't immediately leaned in to kiss her, shutting her up and closing her eyes. She smiled at him, her fingers looking for his.

'Do you think Zeus will take revenge?' She wondered about this, clearly remembering their deal. She could go into the Underworld whenever she liked, how long she'd like, as long as she'd come back. Her father probably had the same arrangements in mind as for Hecate, who walked in and out of the Mortal Realm and the Kingdom of the Undead. Not forcing Persephone to talk about terms or periods was foolish of him, and honestly too naive for a Supreme God. Up in Olympus she was already growing nervous as to that question - but it never came. She believed there might have been some secret he wasnt telling her, something that would restrict her, trick her - anything. Nothing had happened yet. Could it really be he thought no one could possibly enjoy the Underworld? Or did he believe Persephone would grow tired of Hades before the first snow would fall?

'When Zeus defeated Kronos, he crowned himself king of the most beautiful place on Earth, the only place where humans could thrive. Poseidon is an arrogant one - if you think of Zeus as a dramatic smartass you haven't seen anything yet. He took to the seas, where he didn't have to deal with mortals too often. Left was the Kingdom where the Dead go. The mortals fear my Kingdom because they do not know it. I inherited this place, not because everyone had such good faith in me as king of the perished mortals and lost souls, but because no one else wanted to see its beauty. The great thing about being King of something, is that no one stands above you. As long as you're bound to me, you fall under my protection. Kings can only take revenge on Kings by fighting them for their crown. Zeus would never want my crown.' His words relaxed her and she rested her head against his shoulder.

'We should probably go inside,' Persephone said after a short while. 'The shrieks of those drama queens are giving me a headache.' Hades chuckled and got up to pull her on her feet.

'Great, because I have a surprise for you.' They walked inside and into the large room, where there sat a single silver platter on the table, holding two large mugs with hot chocolate and a pile of whipped cream - and Persephone felt her heart grow once more.