Chapter 39

Because Apollo held his foot down, refusing to pass the threshold of the Black Cats' Lounge, Persephone asked Artemis to accompany her. Of course she could've gone by herself, but a part of her wanted Artemis to meet the mortal and agree with her. She was certain the goddess of the hunt would choose her side in the matter of Orpheus-Eurydice.

They were sitting in the meadow, surrounded by tall pine trees. Artemis enjoyed the hot Summer days as much as she could. She noticed Persephone was still aching over Hades, but at least she wasn't sitting around feeling sorry for herself. It was that powerful character she liked about her.

'You know,' Artemis murmured, 'I think I'm in love with him.' Persephone widened her eyes.

'With whom!' Artemis looked up, sweet hazel eyes that betrayed her feelings.

'Orion, of course. He is beautiful, he is swift, he is perfect. Yesterday he kissed me and I knew.' Persephone smiled faintly, pitying her friend. She knew fully well what it meant to love a mortal. It would always end fatally.

'What about your brother?'

'What about him? He loves the mortals. They worship him everywhere for everything. He is their golden boy.' Persephone hesitated. She knew he didn't like Orion. However, if he wanted his twin to know he could tell her himself.

'Can I braid your hair for tonight?' Persephone asked, changing the subject. Artemis sat upright and turned her back toward Persephone. She had picked her prettiest, flowiest dress. It was yellow and complimented her skin tone. She would wear her hair down, the way Hades liked it best.

That night the Black Cats' Lounge was crammed with people. The news Orpheus would play had spread and lured every mortal soul in. Artemis was looking around, impressed by the numbers, while Persephone sat on the edge of her bar stool. She really needed to talk to him. She had thought of a way he could get to Eurydice.

'Here you go,' said the waitress as she put down a pink cocktail in front of her.

'Oh, I'm sorry,' Persephone said, 'I didn't order this.'

'The handsome fellow over there did,' winked the waitress, gesturing toward a man sitting at the other side of the bar. He lifted his drink to her, and hesitantly she smiled before turning to Artemis.

'Go talk to him,' Artemis said, 'it's half an hour still before Orpheus comes on.' Yes, things had moved really fast for Orpheus, but then again - he had a voice that made goddesses cry.

'I don't want to,' Persephone simply said.

'Don't want what?' Startled, she almost spilled her drink as the dark-haired man leaned against the bar. He smiled at her, dimples in his cheeks, stubble scattered over his jawline. He had silver eyes, shadowed by a dark brow and dark lashes. She turned to face him and smiled respectfully.

'I don't want to come over and talk to you.' He let out a laugh, one that didn't ring too familiar. It was a welcoming sound. She liked his smile, it reached his eyes. The broad-shouldered stranger reminded her of Zeus, though.

'Yet here we are.'

'To be honest, you came over here.' She looked at his hand, which he had placed on hers without breaking eye contact. Oh, he was smooth. Still, she freed her hand and picked up the cocktail and drank from it, looking up at him from under her lashes with big innocent eyes.

'I'm Pirithous,' he said, holding out his hand. She took his hand and felt a shiver climb up her spine as he squeezed it softly, caressing the back of her hand with his thumb.

'Hi Pirithous,' Artemis said, bumping into him so he had to let go of Persephone's hand. 'My friend and I are just here to see Orpheus. Have you heard him before?' He only slowly moved his eyes from Persephone to Artemis and smiled gallantly.

'I haven't, actually. I come here all the time. I suppose he must be very good, seeing how many beautiful females he attracts.' His eye fell on Persephone again. The goddess didn't even blush.

'Yeah - you're good,' Artemis said, 'too good.' As she didn't release his gaze, Pirithous lowered his eyes shortly. Persephone recognised the goddess she met on the day of her out coming, when Apollo introduced them. She could be as cold as ice and Persephone loved it.

'I will see you later,' Pirithous said to Persephone. She smiled and said nothing as he walked away.

'Now,' Artemis said as she sat down on the stool Pirithous left unoccupied. 'Where were we?'

'Orpheus is coming up,' Persephone pointed out. The goddess of the hunt turned around to look at the mortal. Persephone watched her back, waiting for the exact moment the boy would start singing. And as he did, the whole place went quiet.

When the song was finished, Orpheus bowed, raising his hand to Persephone. Artemis turned back around, her eyes full with wonder.

'I didn't know mortals could do that,' she said, 'he must have gained Apollo's favour. But why?'

'You're here,' the singer said exhilarated as he embraced Persephone. 'What did you think?'

'You were amazing,' she cried out. 'My friend didn't believe it at first, but you've proven your worth before everyone in here!' He blushed and she squeezed his shoulder friendly.

'So, what's the song about anyway?' Artemis asked. He hung his guitar over his shoulders and accepted a pint of beer from the bartender.

'I wrote it for my - err - wife. She - Eurydice - was the love of my life. When she would talk to me, I saw the entire world in different colours. Everything sang to me, the trees and the flowers, the rivers and the mountains. In her eyes I saw this otherworldly rhythm that just flowed. I asked her to marry me, but was just as surprised when she accepted my hand. I don't have a lot to offer, you see, while she has - had so much...' He averted his eyes and Artemis smiled.

'I could hear your pain in your voice. You really must miss her.'

'Terribly. I haven't been able to write anything without her. Too depressed, I guess. Anyway, Eurydice asked me to write a song that would make the snow melt and it did.' As the three of them sat talking, a tall handsome figure entered the Lounge and Artemis looked up, smelling a familiar cologne.

'Orion,' she said, breathlessly. He smiled at her, and for a moment it was like the two of them were the only people in the room. She jumped from her stool and into his arms.

'I love seeing people in love,' Orpheus murmured. Persephone smiled, she did too.

'I know how you can get her back,' she said without looking at him, feeling a pang of betrayal, knowing Hades would resent her for it.

'You do!' the singer cried out.

'Yes. But you need to be patient. When the chrysanthemum blooms you can find your way to the entrance. There you'll find a three-headed dog. He is harmless. Sing him to sleep. As soon as you are past him, you can't leave the same way. You need to go on. Once you're in Court, you need to convince my - the Master of the Underworld, Hades. Sing the song you sang tonight. He will listen to you.' She saw hope growing in his eyes and needed no more convincing she was right about him.