Chapter 12

The evening of the dance was different from all the others. The colours were dark but intense, and they made the room cosy instead of sinful. A long red dress hugged Persephone's voluptuous body, and on her hair she wore a flowercrown made solely from dark red carnations, her favourite. Tiny lights floated in the air, lighting up the room. There must have been dozens of people; heroes, poets, philosophers, kings and queens and ordinary souls from the Asphodel Meadows. She wondered about the lack of lawmakers.

'You look divine', said the host of the party with a wolfish smile. 

'O, don't do that, that's such a Zeus thing to do', she chuckled. She accepted his hand and followed him towards the music. Laughing he pushed aside the see-through curtains in order to let her into the room. Three gorgeous women were singing while a band was playing softly.

'So you do know how to throw a party!' she said, lookig around in awe.

'I never said I didn't. I just... don't always like them.' She didn't say that she thought about dark gothic orgies when he said he knew how to throw a party - it was either that, or some book-reading, action-poetry night where everyone wallowed in their self-pity because they died.

'Is that the mata-hari!' she cried out.

'Can you honestly say you can throw a party without her? I thought I made a rather perfect guest list. Did you even see Alexander? He is great.' She turned around to look him in the eye.

'I have. It is more than perfect. Who is your musical star?' He gestured at the three women on stage.

'The Muses. They were once the lovers or the protegees of Idiotic Apollo.' She clasped her hands and listened to them in amazement.

'Have you ever heard something so... so perfectly in sync, so harmonious?' He offered her his hand.

'Would you do me the honour?' She put her hand in his and pulled him onto the dance floor.

'You said you didn't dance!' she said, pleased with his moves. He twirled her over the floor.

'I don't, normally. I just wanted to make you feel like home. I can't stand it if you're sad.'

'That is really kind of you. Thank you.' He pulled her close and dropped her backwards. She hastily put her arms around his neck and let out an excited laugh. He put her back on her feet as the Muses finished their song.

A couple of nymphs circled the room with large silver plates carrying small bits of food. It all looked so delicious it took Persephone every bit of restraint to touch nothing.

After having enjoyed one dance with Persephone the King of Souls sat down in his high-backed chair and watched around the room, enjoying Charon's stories about remarkable ferry-rides. Persephone talked with everyone present, as radiant and interested as ever.

She left the room to the overhanging balcony to get some air. Leaning on the balustrade she looked down at the cabins in Asphodel Meadows. Time had gone by so fast from the moment she set foot in the Underworld and although she had been there for weeks she hadn't seen half of Hades' kingdom yet.

'I would offer you something to eat but we both know you are too good for the food down here.' Persephone turned around and studied Minthe's face.

'I'm sorry,' she said, towering over the nasty nymph who whinced at her warning voice. 'I am a goddess still and you will address me as such.' Minthe took a step back when Persephone grabbed her wrist, digging her fingernails in her flesh. 'Apologise or you will regret your insolence, nymph.' Minthe looked at the tiled floor.

'Forgive me,' she muttered. Persephone let go of her and watched her dart inside the castle.

The dance came to and end when the souls returned to their rightful places in Asphodel and Elysium. In the end only Persephone and Hades remained in the grand room. She fell back on the big pillows and sank away in happy afterparty bliss. Hades sat down next to her on the floor, his legs crossed. She liked the content smile on his face. He hardly ever looked really happy, but there were small traits she started recognising as sincere happiness. She stretched out a hand from her soft fluffy grave. Their fingers intertwined and she let out a long and happy sigh.

'Wasn't that wonderful?' she said.

'It was,' he admitted. 'You won't believe the stories Charon told me.'

'Do tell.' She pulled herself up so she could look him in the eye.

'It seemed a hero has arrived in our midst,' he said with a conspiring voice. They hardly slept that night, spending their time in the darkened room talking about heroes and half gods.