Chapter 29: spring

As the Underworld residents became uneasy in feeling Persephone's absence, she herself drew a sharp breath, looking around her. While her feet sank in the deep white snow she followed an invisible path so familiar to her she could never get lost, not even in the dense woods that were now nothing but bare, wooden arms of the earth reaching for the stars. It had become dark, and a huge yellow moon looked down upon her. She felt the power of the Moon Spirit drawing her near and she relished its otherworldly beauty. Persephone looked back, seeing tiny snowdrops follow her still.

Demeter's cottage seemed small and homely compared to Hades' grand castle. Persephone stopped walking when she saw the smoke crinkle out from the chimney. A light burned in the window sill, beckoning her to come in. She smelled her mother's cooking. She had missed food. Adjacent to the cottage was the greenhouse, filled with green leaves and colourful fruits and vegetables. Of course the goddess herself would never go hungry - not that she needed food.

Before Persephone could even make up her mind about what she'd say to her mother, how she'd introduce her return, how they would hug - the green door opened. The wreath that hung against it rustled. Demeter appeared in the door opening and looked around her. They had been so close in the past, of course she would immediately sense Persephone's return. She should've thought about the how before walking back.

'Persephone!' Demeter called out. 'Persephone!' A chill went up her spine as she heard her mother's broken voice. Persephone started walking toward the cosy house before her brain even decided on it. As Demeter's eye fell on her daughter, she ran out, arms stretched forward. She was crying like a woman who had lost everything. Demeter fell in Persephone's arms, and for the first time Persephone noticed how small her mother was compared to her own stature. She closed her arms around the goddess of harvest and pulled her into a tight embrace.

'I knew it was you', she whimpered, 'I felt you had come back.' She loosened her grip on her mute daughter and cupped her face in her hands, tracing her features with her eye. Demeter wiped away the tears that started falling down Persephone's cheeks with her thumbs. 

'Look at you', she whispered, 'you still look the same. Come inside, child. I've made dinner.' She took hold of Persephone's arm and pulled her toward the house. Meekly the goddess of Spring followed her. The interior of the cottage hadn't changed. It still had the velvet dark pink couch and the lush green velours curtains, the thick carpets on the floor, the pictures on the walls. Demeter pulled out a chair for her daughter and tapped the cushioned seat. 

'I am so happy you're back', her mother cried, tears still flowing from her green eyes. She cradled Persephone's head and pulled her up against her bosom. 'I only wished it hadn't taken so long. How has that creature treated you? I am so sorry he was able to take you. I promise you, he won't do it gain.' Persephone freed herself from Demeter's hold.

'Please', she said, eyes still wet with tears, 'he didn't take me, and he was an absolute gentleman.' Demeter dismissed her words with a wave of the hand.

'Nonsense. I know my brother. He is not the gentle kind. He is horrible and it must've been trying Down There. I am so glad you are more powerful than he thought.' She wanted to take Persephone's hands again as Persephone got up from the chair.

'I'm tired', she said agitated. 'It has been a long day and I want my bed.'

'Eat something first.'

'I don't feel like eating. I'm tired.' Oh, she had seen the display of foods and drinks on the table - it was all her favourites combined. She had dreams about this exact moment, this exact picture before her, but she wasn't hungry at all.

'We need to catch up on the last eight months!' her mother cried.

'Tomorrow. I'm tired.' Her tone of voice didn't escape Demeter, who laced her fingers while she studied her daughter meticulously. 

'Of course, child. Let me help you.'

'I can do it myself!' Persephone thundered, immediately regretting her harsh words as she saw Demeter cower. She forced herself to kiss her mother goodnight and walked into her bedroom, where everything was as it had always been. As she gave way to her breaking heart, she lowered herself on the floor, crying silently. She missed falling asleep in his strong hold, she missed sniffling his warm smell, she missed the way he made her feel when he looked her straight in the eye telling her he loved her - and it hadn't been a full day yet.