Chapter 4

It didn't take long for the two goddesses to return home. Without a word Demeter got out of the carriage and walked up to the greenhouse. Persephone sighed and followed a little while later. Her mother sat at the table and looked down at her game. Persephone mustered up all her courage before she walked into the room.

'I think that was really rude of you,' Persephone said.

'It was.' Demeter didn't even look up from her game.

'You embarrassed me!'

'I did.'

'You ruined all my chances of becoming an Olympian goddess.' She plunged on the lush sofa. Finally her mother looked up, fire burning in her eyes.

'First of all, no one becomes Olympian on their first try. You would actually have to do something extraordinary. Kore, you may be my daughter, but you are not exceptional. Second, you will have thousands of years left to gain their favour and get yourself a throne if you desire as much. Tell me this, though, sweet daughter of mine - would you even want to?' Persephone calmed down as she considered living under the same roof as the predatory gods of the Olympus. Would they respect her chastity? Before going to bed she laid a coin on a small scale in honour of the gods' official messenger. Hermes was the fastest god in the realms and he did honor to his reputation as he appeared before her that same night. She liked his friendly face, which was nothing like Zeus' or Apollo's.

'Dear sister,' the god of merchants said, 'how can I be of service?'

'I wish to speak with Artemis.'

'Ah, and on what account? Business, offerings, wisdom, hunting tips, girl talk, private stuff?' Persephone raised an eyebrow.

'Is that any of your concern?'

'She always wants to know in order to decide if it is worth her time.' He shrugged apologetically.

'I guess it's private girl stuff.'

'Delightful, she would love that. I'll give her your invitation. Usually she'll respond within a week.' Persephone smiled sweetly.

'Thank you, Hermes. Much appreciated.' 

Three days later Artemis flattered young Persephone with a visit from the immortal realm. She kissed her half-sister sweetly on both cheeks and accepted her gifts. She wanted a tour of the place, which included the green meadows and thick forests, and commented graciously on the fauna that lived there. Artemis was by far a friendlier goddess than Persephone had thought on the night of her feast. They seemed to share the desire to stay chaste and in this they found a base for their loving friendship. 

Artemis told her she herself had to confront Zeus on her virginity. He accepted her vows and until the day of their talk the goddess of huntsmen remained untouched. Persephone's worries disappeared. The only thing she had to do was tell Zeus she was not to be touched. That would be a whole different thing altogether, but she knew she could do that in due time.

Artemis often came over to the place where Demeter and Persephone lived and would even walk among the mortals who worshipped her. Of course no one knew who she was, they received her as the precious friend of Persephone and called her Dhelia.

'Let's go into the fields,' Artemis said one day, 'I feel like picking a bouquet worthy of a thousand goddesses.' Laughing the women went into the olive orchard. They danced under the hot gaze of Helios, plucking the most beautiful flowers they could find. After a while Artemis stopped singing and dancing. She seemed distracted. Persephone followed her gaze until she saw a man at the far end of the field.

'Who is that?' asked the goddess of the hunt. She grabbed Persephone's arm and pulled her into the shadows.

'That would be Orion,' Persephone said. 'He is a huntsman. They say he is the best of them.'

'I would like to meet him.' Persephone had never seen her half-sister like this. She was hot from the sun and appeared longing. Who would have thought the maiden goddess of pregnant women could stare longingly at a mortal man?

'You can. Just go over to him.' Blushing, Artemis looked away from him.

'No, that would be silly.' Persephone wondered about what part exactly would be silly, seeing how many women, mortal and immortal alike, their father had wooed without the smallest sense of shame.

'Let's go over there then,' Persephone offered in order to make her feel better. The two goddesses walked into the far fields away from Orion, when Persephone heard the faint cries of agony and despair. She dropped her basket of flowers and followed the sound.

'Where are you going?' Artemis demanded.

'I just want to have a look.'

'You shouldn't bother with the fleeting emotions of humans. One day they are depressed, the following they're ecstatic.' Persephone wondered about Artemis thinking humans were so different, because as long as she had known about the Olympians she knew them to be the same if not worse. Hesitantly she stopped in her pace. She didn't know what she would find. She didn't even know if she wanted to find it.

'Let's go back,' she said eventually. 'I want you to meet Orion. You will like him.'

'But that is the problem,' Artemis said. 'I don't want to like him. I vowed that I would never marry and never bear children.'

'Thank Zeus we're only going to talk to him,' laughed Persephone. 'No need to have anyone's babies just yet.' Pushing aside her feelings about the sounds of mortals in pain, she went back into the opposite direction. Artemis followed in her flowery trail.