Chapter 24

Persephone spent her time in Asphodel, playing games with the children and talking about the weather with the ladies. She noticed a group of people coming down the winding path. Surprised she counted their numbers.

'It seems Asphodel is a popular place to be at the moment,' she remarked idly as she got up.

'Where are we?' a beautiful young woman asked her, a wild look in her eye. Persephone walked over to her and placed her hand on her upper arm.

'It's okay,' she said. 'You're in Asphodel Meadows. This is your new home.' She had seen the bewildered, wandering souls. They died an untimely death and were still too aware of the life Above to be at peace. 

'I have never heard of this place.' Tears welled up behind the woman's expressive green eyes.

'Please, sit down for a moment,' Persephone asked. 'You will need some time adjusting, but all will be well. You'll see that everyone is really nice and we will take good care of you.' The woman closed her hand around Persephone's lower arm.

'I'm Eurydice,' she said with a hoarse voice. 'What is your name?' Startled Persephone raised her eyes from Eurydice's hand to her face. She remembered her name. That was... unusual. Affected she opened and closed her mouth, unsure whether answering would mean anything.

'Persephone,' the goddess replied. 'Do you... remember anything from before you got here?' A puzzled look on her face, creased lines in her brow. She had to think hard, but there was certainly something there. Persephone swallowed. It hurt her seeing the hurt in others.

'I was by the river. The snow was melting again and turned the river into a violently swirling mass. I was going to the river... But I don't remember why... I think I saw something in the grass. Before I knew it, I was following a man toward a small boat.' Persephone smiled apologetically.

'It's better to let go of these memories,' she said warmly. Shocked Eurydice looked at her.

'I will never forget Orpheus!' With that she started walking away from the group in a confused daze. Persephone watched her go. She could not leave Asphodel, she would always and again end up there. Her heart ached for Eurydice, but she didn't know what she could do for her.

That afternoon Persephone was sitting at the dining table with Hades. He was eating dark green and black olives and ryebread with butter. Normally she would practically be drooling, now she was merely distracted, her face grimased. He moved over to her and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. 

'What's on your mind?' She smiled faintly. He loved the hundreds of faces she could pull. This one he didn't particularly like, but he adored the way she wore her heart on her sleeve.

'There was a woman today.' She hesitated for a second. 'She remembered her name. She remembered what happened to her.' She remembered her lover.

'Her death must have been traumatic,' he said. 'It's unusual, but not unheard of. She will forget, it'll just take some time.'

'Can I do something for her?'

'Not really. She needs to accept her fate. That is all her.' Persephone pondered on his words and he got up to walk towards the tall windows. With his hands buried deep within his pockets he looked at the lands below.

'You're going away again, aren't you?' she asked. Every once in a while he disappeared for a couple of days. She knew he would go into Tartarus, but she never asked about it. Rumour had it the Titans were getting restless - and restless beasts on chains were not great news - ancient spirits getting angry less so. Besides, just like Asphodel was getting busier, so were the lands behind the black mountains. 

'Yes', he said after a short while without elaborating. He didn't need to. She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, resting her cheek on the spot between his shoulders. She liked the way he smelled, it was familiar and homely. After having been in Tartarus once, she knew she didn't particularly wanted to go back. It had been a trying experience, one that wore the soul down. He had been going there for over thousands of years. It must have left a gaping hole in his chest but it also proved to her how very powerful he was. 

'Sometimes I wonder about your heart', she whispered.

'Sometimes, I do, too.'