Chapter 1: summer

It was a hot summer day when Persephone walked between the crooked olive trees of Attika. The golden rays of Helios shone hot and prickled her skin. Not too far from where she was she spotted a couple of children playing near the river. Singing a song that was nearest to her heart she walked over to the almost dried up riverbed. The children's laughter filled the hazy summer air. Persephone loved spending time with the creatures who did not have anything but time. They only had so little of it and it needed to be spent wisely, lovingly, passionately. How could she not envy them?

A trail of colourful flowers followed her on the side of the riverbank. Everything she touched flowered and blossomed. Poppies swayed on the thick summer winds, tiny white daisies popped up abundantly, dandelions spotted the fields and carnations rose to her powers. The mortals loved her for it. The children started making flower crowns. A little girl came up to her, wanting to place a crown of white roses and soft pink carnations on her curly hair. Persephone bowed down for her and enjoyed being crowned the Queen of Spring.

As the sun moved away mothers called on the children, and Persephone was left alone by the shallow river. Still wearing the flower crown she lay down in the tall, dry grass and sang of a time she herself was a little girl. She felt her eyelids getting heavy when a tall woman approached her.

'Well, now', Demeter said. 'Is it wise to sleep in a field alone and unprotected?'

'Mother, don't think I can't take care of myself', Persephone said without opening her eyes. 'Come, lie next to me, and relish the beauty of Summer.' Demeter smiled at her daughter and sat down next to her. Persephone laid her head in her mother's lap and enjoyed her slender fingers combing her hair.

'You know, I really do understand', said Demeter. 'Your thing with the mortals, I mean. But you mustn't forget about your godly duties or your place in this world and our own. You need to be impartial, you need to keep your distance.' Persephone wondered about that, because she couldn't remember any God to be impartial. But she said nothing.