Chapter 11

Looking over the Meadows Persephone stood on the balcony. Hades had been absent for some time and she missed hanging out with him. Minthe, who was to see to her every need except leave her the gods alone, told her he had important business to attend to in Tartarus. Tartarus, a place that left everything to the imagination. Demeter had told her it was a horrible place where Hades took out his anger and abominable kinks on the Dead.

Since Persephone had come to know him better, she doubted every single word of that. Yet Hades himself hadn't told her anything either. Jokingly she asked him if it were his torture chamber. He smiled humorlessly, but didn't deny or confirm it. Ah, Demeter and her wild stories of Below - Persephone knew her mother had never set foot in the place and never would.

She missed the Above. She missed her friends, the hot sunlight on her skin, the colours of the sky, the sound of laughter and happiness. She missed the foods and drinks, the tight hugs of her mother, the wind through the leaves. She missed the music and the dancing, but above all she missed the realness of things. She knew she could get and see everything she wanted by a flick of Hades' wrist, but she also knew everything Below wasn't real.

'I thought you'd be here', the pleasant, comforting voice of Hades said. She turned around and he walked over to her. Concerned he wiped away a tear from her cheek and watched as she took hold of his wrist. It must have been a long time since someone touched the King of Dead, she thought. Unless it had been that nasty Minthe. He smiled and she fell unto his chest, folding her arms tightly around his torso. She took a deep breath and sought after the sound of his heartbeat. Would the god of the Underworld have one?

Hesitantly he put his arms around her as well and rested his chin on her head. He felt warm and welcoming. He smelled of everything warm, charred wood and heated earth, maybe oranges and nutmeg, but also honey.

'Truth or dare?' he asked. She shook his head. This was not the time for games. 'Answer me.'

'Truth', she sighed.

'Why are you sad, Persephone?' he asked. She let him go and dried her wet cheeks before smiling.

'I guess I got a little homesick.'

'Don't you like it here?' She heard a deep and hurting disappointment in his voice.

'I do. I just got lonely. Talking to the souls in Asphodel Meadows only get you so far.' He smiled.

'That is true. It won't be long for some of them set off for a new existence in the world Above.'

'Would they know me when they would see me there?' He shook his head.

'They wouldn't. They forget everything about their existence here when they are a baby. As soon as they learn to talk, they start their adventure Above. Their souls need space for new memories.' That sounded really sad as well, Persephone thought.

'Truth or dare?' Surprised, he looked at her. 'Answer me.'

'Dare.'

'You always pick dare! I dare you to pick Truth for once!' He chuckled.

'Then I'll pick Truth. Just this once, to humour you.'

'Don't you ever get lonely down here?' As she saw the smile fade from his face she regretted her decision to push him.

'I have gotten used to being alone. I am surrounded with creatures I can talk to if I wish to.'

'Like who?'

'Charon is actually pretty funny. Thanatos, not so much. He rarely comes down here anyway.'

'Have you ever been married?'

'No, not yet.' She laughed.

'Not yet, my Lord?' He smiled faintly.

'I like to keep my options open.'

'And Minthe?' It escaped her lips before she knew it.

'What about Minthe?'

'Did you ever have... physical relations with her?'

'I think you get only one question per turn.'

'Are you ashamed to tell me?' He turned his head.

'I did have physical relations with Minthe. A long time ago.' She didn't like what she was feeling under her skin. It was dark pink, and nothing like the crimson rage she sometimes felt. It felt like shame for wanting to know, like disappointment that he did. Of all the creatures in the world, she would've liked that he never felt attracted to her. She forced a smile.

'Thank you for telling me, although my turn was over.' He tried for a smile as well. 'Can we go dancing tonight? I miss dancing.' She saw how her change of subject lifted something heavy from his chest as he dropped his shoulders.

'We can, if you want. Maybe we can invite the Fates as a band. They have lovely singing voices.'

'Do they!' she cried out excited. He let out a laugh.

'Of course they don't. They sound like unsmeared door hinges and the three of them together sound like a haunted house. But I know someone who does have a beautiful voice and I will invite her tonight. For you.'