*Chapter Twenty Six* {By the Light of the Moon}

Claire walks up to Elena's house with the handle of Madelyn's baby carrier in the crook of her elbow

Claire walks up to Elena's house with the handle of Madelyn's baby carrier in the crook of her elbow. She glances down at Madelyn smiling at the baby coos and reaches for her mother. Claire's heart swells at the sight.

Claire stops at the door and knocks. Bonnie had sent her a text saying Elena was on house arrest. Ever since her and Elena had been kidnapped by Trevor, Claire feels as if she's severely out of the loop. She doesn't know why Elena is under house arrest, she doesn't even know the reason why they were kidnapped in the first place. She meant to ask Elijah but every time she's around him all she can focus on is the beating of her heart and the connection she feels towards him.

"Claire" Elena smiles lighting up the second she sees her.

"Hi!" Claire waves and Elena lets her in. The two friends hug each other tightly. "I feel like I haven't seen you in like forever." Of course there was a small period Claire was upset with Elena for throwing the vervain bomb at Elijah but seeing that Elijah wasn't upset with Elena, Claire reluctantly let it go. But Heaven help Damon the next time Claire sees him.

"I know. You look great" Elena compliments. The last time she had seen Claire, she was completely heartbroken and on the verge of falling apart. Now, she looks healthier, happier, more comfortable. "And look at Madelyn, she's adorable" Elena gushes as Claire sets the carrier on the table.

"Want to hold her?" Claire asked. Elena nods with a smile stretched across her face. Claire unbuckles Madelyn and hands her off to Elena who cradles her in her arms. "So, I hear you're on house arrest."Claire said. Elena rolls her eyes taking a seat on the couch while Claire sits in a chair. "What's that about?"

"Me being on house arrest?" Elena asked and Claire nods. "I tried to give myself over to Klaus."

"Klaus?" Claire sits up more at the sound of his name. Elena nods. "Why?" Elena frowns her eyebrows.

"Do you know about the moonstone curse?" Elena asked.

"I've heard bits an pieces. I know Katherine was involved and trying to find the stone to break the curse but I don't really know much more." Claire told her honestly.

"The curse is what keeps vampires in the dark and werewolves transforming on the full moon. If a vampire breaks the curse, they can walk in the sun. If a werewolf breaks the curse, they don't have to transform on the full moon." Elena explains. "I'm apparently a doppelganger... I have to... I have to be sacrificed to break the curse"

"What?" Claire whispers. Elena nods her eyes averting to Madelyn. Elena smiles and lets Madelyn play with her finger. "That's why you were kidnapped. They were trying to give you to Elijah who was supposed to give you to Klaus so he can break the curse." Claire realizes. "Only Elijah hasn't taken you to him."

"I tried to give myself up to Klaus."

"You what?" Claire snapped.

"I know" She said looking up at her. "Damon and Elijah stopped me."