Waiting on You

Two blissful years together and Adrien thought there was no way for him to fall more in love with his wife than he'd already been. Yet something so simple and usual as her dancing in the middle of their living room was proving him wrong again as he stood in a doorway, a lopsided smile on his lips. She was beautiful. Hands gracefully gliding through the air, legs barely touching the floor, the curve of her body bending to the sounds of music filling the space. Breathtaking.

Marinette seemed to not have noticed his arrival, but Adrien knew better. He waited for a few seconds and joined her in the routine they'd been working on a couple of weeks already at just the right moment.

"Perfect timing." She smiled, using him as leverage for her next move.

"Sorry I'm late," Adrien whispered, his arms wrapping around her waist, dipping her down and bringing her up. "Mme Lenoir got us held up."

"Oh?" Taking his hand, she twirled to the side. "How is she doing?"

He pulled her back flush against his chest. "She's retiring and selling the studio."

Adrien bent to the side, ready for the next move, but Marinette didn't follow, stalling in her tracks.

"What do you mean she's selling the studio?"

Straightening up, Adrien wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, placing a kiss on Marinette's neck before resting his chin on her shoulder. "I mean exactly what I said. Mme Lenoir decided it's time for her to sell the studio and move to the country with her college sweetheart."

Marinette whipped around to stare at him in shock. "With whom ?"

Adrien chuckled. "What? You didn't think she had it in her at her age?"

She blinked. "No, not that... I just... I've never heard her mentioning anyone special, so I assumed—"

Adrien chuckled. "I know. We all did, but apparently, she's been in love with this mystery man her whole life, and they've been recently reunited. And since both of them are still single, they want to spend the rest of their lives together."

"That's... That's so sweet and sad at the same time."

Adrien leaned down to nuzzle his wife's cheek. "I feel so lucky to have you come into my life earlier than my retirement."

Wrapping her arms around his neck, Marinette pulled Adrien down into a lingering kiss. "We both are lucky. But now—" she pulled back, "—go shower because I will not allow you anywhere near the kitchen in your condition. My dinner deserves better than a sweaty, smelly eater."

Adrien let out a chuckle. "Sorry. Plagg thinks I'm finally ready for the 'next level'. Today was our first session."

"Oh, does he? And does this 'next level' involve buckets of sweat?"

"Until I get used to it, yes, it absolutely does."

Marinette let a smile slip. "You're lucky Plagg prefers to use the studio downstairs these days. I can't imagine it being comfortable to travel across the city in your condition."

"It can't be as bad as you say." Adrien chuckled, leaning closer for a cheek kiss. "You're still in my arms and feeling pretty comfortable I dare to say."

"That's because I love you more than you deserve." Marinette pushed him back with her finger to his chest before untangling herself from his embrace. "Don't take long with the shower. The dinner's been waiting on the stove for a while."

"Your wish is my command," Adrien dramatically bowed down and headed inside the apartment to their bedroom.

Fifteen minutes later he was back, refreshed and ready to indulge in his wife's amazing cooking. "It looks delicious." Adrien sat down in front of a steaming bowl of Cassoulet. "Thank you, Mari. Just what I needed after a long day."