Blindsided

The weather was sunny with a few clouds when Adrien and Marinette had entered Lace Rose. When they exited, the rain dribbled. Once they'd reached Gabriel's office, it poured from the sky like there was no tomorrow. Since neither of them had an umbrella, Adrien covered Marinette with his jacket for the few meters they had to run in the rain, claiming that he could change into any of many clothes from the previous collections his father had in the building so getting wet for him wasn't an issue.

"I'll change and then head to my father's office," Adrien said as they entered the building. "Then another few fittings and I'll be free in three or four hours. Can I come to help you? Even if it's for moral support?"

Marinette chuckled. "I feel like I've acquired a shadow, not a boyfriend."

"Am I too clingy?" He frowned. "I probably am. I can tone it down... It's just that... we are still together, but I'm already missing you because I know we'll part soon."

She reached for his hand and smiled. "You know, puppy eyes look adorable on you."

"Do they work, though?"

"Maybe? Just a little."

"So, I can come?"

"I'd love that," Marinette said. "But it isn't very professional, and if we want your father to approve of us, we have to keep it purely professional at work."

"Bummer," Adrien grumbled, lacing his fingers with Marinette's. "But we still have a few minutes and an elevator ride until your lunch is over. Can I be unprofessional until then?"

Marinette bit her lip as she mulled it over before relenting a shy smile. "Okay."

The elevator arrived sooner than Adrien would've liked. The ride up was even faster, the door opening at Marinette's floor way too quickly. Before she exited, Adrien sneaked a kiss to her cheek. She smiled, whispering "I love you" before the door closed again and Adrien was left alone. His knees weak and his heart singing from joy, he closed his eyes. So this is what it felt like to be happy?

Proudly grinning, Adrien entered his father's office at exactly the appointed time, only to be told that Gabriel was busy.

"Take a seat, Adrien." Nathalie pointed to a couch by a window. "He'll see you as soon as he can."

Adrien obeyed, not being surprised at all. It'd always been like that. Father didn't make time for him; he squeezed him between his appointments.

Something in his pocket poked him. With a frown, Adrien reached into his pocket and pulled out a slim, crème-coloured box. The necklace he got Marinette. He groaned. How could he forget to give it to her? Unbelievable. But then... it could be his official excuse to drop by after work. Maybe he can even score permission to walk her home... or drive. Nah, walking would allow him to spend more time with Marinette... unless she was tired after a long day, so driving her home would probably be a better option—

"Mme Bustier told me M Agreste wanted to see me?" the woman on his mind asked Nathalie.

Adrien stirred. How did he not notice her walking into the room?

"Yes, he did." Nathalie nodded towards Adrien. "Take a seat. I'll let him know you're here."

Marinette headed his way. "Hey, stranger. Fancy to see you here."

Adrien stood up. "Did you miss me already?"

"Not at all," she teased.

"Mean."

She giggled. "Well, maybe a little, but I'm here because your father summoned me, not because I'm chasing every opportunity to see you. Don't get any ideas."