Sacrifice

Something scratched at his door. Adrien cracked open one eye and shuffled out of the bed on autopilot. He slightly opened the door and almost jumped in his place when a black kitten slipped in, immediately jumping on his bed and curling in its middle.

"Where did you come from?" Adrien asked, glancing at the clock. Five in the morning.

"Whatever," he murmured and crawled back under the blankets. The kitten curled against his side and started to purr. Adrien didn't mind. He'd always wanted a cat but was never allowed. Turning to the side, he wrapped his arm around it, falling back asleep in seconds.

***

Something rubbed against his foot, a cold dot pressing into his sole. Adrien shivered and pulled his leg away. That something jumped on him, tiny feet scampering up his chest, proceeding to knead its paws at Adrien's pecs all while purring like a steam engine.

Adrien opened his eyes. Oh! So, the kitten wasn't a dream? A small, black kitten with green eyes.

"Good morning, little fellow." With a smile, Adrien picked it up, cradling it in one hand. The kitten rubbed its head against Adrien's other palm. In return, he obliged and petted it, scratching behind its ears, its chin, and eventually getting to its belly.

A knock on his door nearly sent him leaping from his skin."Get up, sleeping beauty!" Plagg shouted from behind the door. "Breakfast is on the table."

"Be right there," Adrien answered and, putting the kitten aside, got out of the bed. "Where did you even come from?" he asked. "I don't remember seeing you yesterday."

The kitten meowed in response and followed Adrien to the bathroom, constantly rubbing at his feet. Ten minutes later, the two of them appeared in the kitchen.

"Oh, there you are." Plagg glanced at the kitten. "I was wondering where she'd gone to."

"Is it yours?"

"It's a she and her name is Cheesecake," Plagg said, putting two plates on a table. "Tikki dropped by and brought her along. She's staying at Marinette's tonight, and her place isn't equipped for a kitten. This one is, so Cheesecake is camping with us until tomorrow."

"Tikki's been here?"

"She left ten minutes ago," Plagg said, motioning Adrien to the table. "Just checked in on me and brought us some food."

"So, she knows I'm here, then?"

"She figured that much."

"And is she okay with that? I mean she's probably on Marinette's side and—"

"And she understands. Not thrilled, but I told her your side of the story, and she agreed to turn a blind eye on what I do behind her back for now. But you'd better sort this out, kid, or I'll be living here permanently. With Cheesecake, since she's my kitten."

Adrien sighed, sitting down. "Sorry. I didn't want to get you in trouble."

Plagg shrugged, joining him the table. "If I were in trouble, we wouldn't be eating my Queen's cooking right now, but we are. You're in trouble; I am not. Tikki has her own charge with her own issues, so she understands. Now, shut up and eat while it's hot."

Adrien couldn't help but let a smile tug at his lips. "Yes, Sir."

They spent the breakfast making small talk. Nothing serious, nothing grave. However, once the last of the food was done, Plagg asked. "So, what're your plans for today?"

"A visit with my father," Adrien said.

Plagg rested his chin on his arm, propped up on a table. "Oh? What for?"