Miraculouses

Adrien pressed his lips into a thin line, his body feeling heavy. Why did he ever think this was a good idea? He pushed the sinking sensation in his chest aside and pressed on. "So, as you can see, it will benefit the company if I explore other career options instead of taking on a CEO role here straight out of school. Having experienced something other than Gabriel for a few years will only make me more capable of helping you here."

"Out of the question," Gabriel cut. "You need to know Gabriel inside out to take over, and that's not attainable by exploring 'other options', as you say."

Adrien pressed on, despite the dread of hopelessness settling in his stomach. "I've worked here my whole life and already know the company well. Exploring might give me new ideas and show new approaches to keep us at the top."

"You've been largely out of the work for the university for years, Adrien. A lot has changed and Gabriel's at the top. We don't need new ideas and approaches."

"I beg to differ." He really was risking his life here. Adrien still persevered. He's gone this far. He might go all the way. "For now. But you've been struggling to maintain that for a few years now, haven't you? We need new ideas—"

"I am implementing new ideas," Gabriel snapped. "This summer's collection—"

"Father, please," Adrien interrupted. Yup. He'd definitely gone crazy, but someone had to say something. Maybe he'd be even lucky enough to get kicked out of the company for offending his father? "Mme Bourgeois was mocking you when she challenged you to implement sequins, bright feathers, ribbons and bows into your men's formal wear. Neon coloured sneakers with black formal suits? Ripped formal pants? Do you really not understand what's going on here?"

Adrien could practically see his father's eyes filled with anger as he replied. "Ripped pants have been trending for a few years already. It's time formal wear got on it."

"You're kidding me, right?"

"No. I absolutely do not."

He was mad. Adrien could feel it. Good. Maybe daring to voice his objections would finally make Gabriel pay attention to his son? He didn't ask for much. He'd been more than a perfect son his whole life, blindly obeying his father's every whim. The least Gabriel could do now was to grant him the sole wish Adrien refused to back away on: a few years of freedom to do whatever he wanted. His own schedule, his own choice of work, his own life. Was that too much to ask for? If anything, Adrien had earned it. So, he dared to speak again.

"Father, 'formal' and 'ripped' should not be in the same sentence unless it's an accident. In all honesty, if you want my opinion, Audrey knew you would never refuse her very public dare, and she used it against you."

"So, what? It's a good push for creativity and stepping out of one's comfort zone."

"Only in this case, it's not. She wanted to sink Gabriel for years, and this might just do it."

"Nonsense."

"Father, there is a difference between new ideas that work and those that will make you the laughingstock of the entire fashion industry."

Gabriel quirked an eyebrow, leaning back into his chair. He hummed. "Now, where did I hear those words before, Adrien? Or should I say Ladybug?"

Adrien frowned. "Lady who?"

"Don't play a fool with me." Gabriel crossed his arms over his chest, his voice chilling with every word. "I see, you've finally learned to express your opinion quite well. Though, in an incredibly rude fashion, and we will discuss it later. Why did you email me then if you can say face to face?"