Chapter 31

I wasn’t sure if Dad was more upset about me confronting ol’ girl, or the vandalism on his school property. I sat silently as he watched the surveillance.  I watched with my jaw dropped as she did damage I hadn’t noticed in the parking lot. She used her heels to bust out the headlights as well as make the crack in the windshield and the rip in the cover.

Note to self- High heels are deadly weapons!

I couldn’t see what she used to cut the tires, but it looked effortless.

“That’s the girl you confronted?” Dad looked at me then back to the tape.

“Yes.” I never looked away as I watched her throw her book bag over her shoulder, smile as if she had finished an art project, and walk off like she was proud of herself.

“Megan Flinch.” Dad said, looking through his desk computer, through student records.

Seconds later he had her file and was on the phone with her parents.

As long as I can remember, I have never known Dad to make home visits. I listened as he told her parents he was on his way.

“Come on, your coming with me.”

I didn’t feel good about this at all.

“But, Dad…”

“No arguing, Meadow.”

I shut my mouth, feeling like a small child, and nodded.

What ever was going to happen- it didn’t feel good.

~~

Four guys stood in a huddle around an old barrel fire.  My skin crawled as eyes bored holes into my skin.

“Hey girl, how you doin’?”  Laughter came from the men and I shoved my hands deep into my pockets, scooting a few feet closer to my father.

“I can show you a great time!”

“Come on over here and let me see you, girl!”

My dad rapped on the door once again.

“Let’s just go, Dad.” I could hear people walking around in the apartment.

“They know we are here and don’t care…let’s just go.”

Funny, I was more scared of the men outside than I was of the unknown behind the door.

Dad’s hand circled my shoulders and we began to descend the steps.

“You Mr. Black?” My dad’s head shot back towards the door frame.

“Yes…”

Damn, so close!

My eyes landed on her bright purple bedroom shoes. Her miss matched socks, torn Capri’s revealing hairy legs, and bra-less chest didn’t surprise me as much as her face. I could feel the hatred coming from her eyes.

Her eyes flowed over my dad from head to foot. She looked past him to me; she turned so sharp a curler fell from her head and bounced on the cement stoop.

Dad watched it roll around before coming to a stop below the door frame.

“I guess this is the little bitch that harassed my daughter in the bathroom?”

Dad slowly bent down and retrieved the light yellow curler.

“I DIDN’T…” Dad turned and held a finger up to me. I stopped talking when I saw the ‘not now’ face.

“Mrs. Fli…”

“Ain’t no Mrs. here and I ain’t no Flinch! Names, Patricia Howard, Miss Patricia Howard.” She jerked the curler from dads grasp and quickly shifted her weight from left to right. Her lips were pouched out and she was ready for anything Dad or I had to say, oh yea, she was ready alright.