Chapter 11 Let the games begin

Meadow

“Come on Kota hurry up.” I couldn’t get to the school fast enough. The faster I got to school, the faster I got to see Dy.

“Hold on a damn minute Meadow…” Kota was barley in her shirt as I was pulling her down the stairs. “…you’re going to kill me, SLOW DOWN” Kota protested; more than annoyed.

I wasn’t trying to get on her nerves; my smile never fading, my heart racing: I had to see Dyson, the need is over whelming, new, scary, and honestly I loved it.

The only thing that bothered me was the thought that maybe, he didn’t feel the same.

Dyson

I checked myself in the mirror one last time. What a sleepless night; I wanted to kiss her goodnight, if nothing more than a peck on the cheek, a kiss none the less.

“Tonight we have dinner at the church…” Mom was piling a mound of eggs on a plate, either for me or dad, as she spoke. “…you better not be late. You have missed the last two socials and you’re not getting out of this one. Do you hear me Dy?” 

“Hey son, this weekend I am taking you to UNC to look around the campus, don’t make plans.” Dad’s tie was hanging around his neck like a loose hangman’s noose.  Dad hated the tie, it was the last thing he put on and the first thing he took off.

Still not having said a word to either of them, I finished my eggs and bacon in three bites. I wanted to get to school; to Meadow.

Gulping my orange juice down, as I stood from the table; mom just sat down to eat.

“Boy, sit your butt down and let me see you; you still have fifteen minutes before you have to leave.” Mom poured sugar in her grits and mixed the liquid golden butter in together.

I rolled my eyes, to her back of course, and set my empty dishes in the sink before I returned to my seat.

“I have some things I need to do before school starts; I really need to leave now.”  Dad smiled at me as I spoke to mom. He knew what “things” or “thing” I was talking about…just not who.

Dad always had a way of reading me. Maybe it is because I am so much like him, or maybe just because he was my age at one time too. It still amazes me at how easy he can read me; how well he understands me and my way of thinking. It shouldn’t, it’s been this way as long as I can remember.

“Do you need to go to the library?” Mom waited patiently for my answer, never taking her eyes off of her toast as she added apple butter.

“No ma’am.” I said sitting back in my chair.

“Meeting with a teacher, principal, or coach?” Mom had a slight smile run across her face.

“No ma’am” I crossed my arms over my chest, knowing I just lost this fight and I still had ten minutes before I could leave.

“Alright, what time you gonna be at the church?” The victory smile in her voice didn’t go unnoticed.

“Well…” I leaned forward to close our distance and ran my hand over the back of my neck.

I cleared my throat and began my reasoning.

“I have plans tonight, and I was hoping you would let me come to the next one” I added my best smile and pleading eyes.

“What you got to do that is more important than spending time with your brothers and sisters in the Lord?” With one hand armed with a fork, and the other with a butter knife, sitting at either side of her plate; I chose my answer carefully.