Chapter 24- A wishful Fall Back

The Christmas tree lights were dazzling. Usually it was my favorite decoration. Mom had no shame in hanging River and I’s hand made crafts from grade school.  Multi colored lights flashed shadows on the walls. It was almost four in the morning and it is officially Christmas day.

In my lap was the gift I had searched all over the Tennessee Mountains for- but didn’t find. I ended up buying it when I got home on one of mom’s last minute shopping trips. The perfect gift for the man I loved. I didn’t bother opening it, looking at it- I didn’t want to. I could give it to River but id much rather just throw it away. I didn’t want to have a constant reminder around. I stood from the couch and threw the silver and gold twisted chain necklace in the cracking flames of the fireplace. It held so many meanings for me. The biggest one was that two different colors, twisted tightly together, made one beautiful, solid chain. Just like Dy and I. We were different, but just as beautiful as any other chain necklace and worth so much. I opened the vent for the excessive smoke and watched the cardboard box burn and the necklace fall out. It fell to the bottom of the pit, under the metal rack holding the burning logs. Maybe it would melt from the heat. Somehow, it was now officially over for me. Dyson and I no longer existed. But more over, I wished we never had.

My phone buzzed alerting me I had a Facebook message. I trudged up the stairs towards my room as I pulled Facebook up.

“You have to answer my calls.” Shawn had been calling and texting me for days.

“Is it about Kota?” I commented on his post.

“No. it’s about us.” He replied quickly letting me know he was online at the moment.

“Then leave me alone. Apparently you are not my friend.” I had been ruthless. I began to feel guilty for not at least hearing what he had to say, but I couldn’t get past the thought of him not telling me as soon as he knew. I loved him like a brother, and he betrayed me almost as bad as Dy had.

I tossed my phone on the side table and hoped I had stayed up long enough I would sleep through Christmas. I had so many high hopes for today. Now, I dreaded it more than going to the dentist. I officially hated Christmas.

~~

One week later

I slid into my chair and drew circles on the empty sheet of paper on my desk. It was bad enough I had to eventually run into Dyson Knight, but Kota wasn’t here with me either.  Due to being put on permanent bed rest, she wouldn’t be back this year. I had to face the rest of junior year alone. Her parents had her on lock down in every meaning of the words. I have yet to even talk to her over the phone. I sent her messages but they were never answered. I sent Happy Birthday on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas the day after for I slept well past midnight- Mom still won’t talk to me.  And Happy New Years on January first. 

“How was your Christmas?”

“Meadow?”

I cleared my throat and sat straight in my chair when I realized Rick was talking to me.

“Oh, it was…ok. How was yours?” I tried to smile, but it felt so fake I didn’t bother to keep it there.

“I got you something.” Rick said pulling a small box out of his back pack. I glanced at him then the box. I was growing really uncomfortable as the thought of a jewelry box went through my mind.

His laugh startled me and I jumped in my chair. I blinked a few times trying to wrap my brain around what exactly he was laughing at. Reading my expressions perfectly he turned his desk towards mine and leaned forward on two legs of the desk.

“It’s not what you think. Open it, you might like it.”

“I didn’t get you anything, Rick. I feel bad for taking it.”