Chapter 3

Dyson’s POV

                I woke up thinking about Meadow. Her silver eyes were burned into my dreams. Why had I not noticed her before? Her black hair held the sun; it shined like it was made of mirror or glass. She is absolutely beautiful.

I stood from the bar in my kitchen and put my empty glass in the sink. I only have fifteen minutes left to get ready. I ran down the hall to my room and grabbed a shirt and my shoes.

My cell phone was lying on my bed. I starred at it for a second as the sound of her voice ran through my memory. The thought of calling her came to mind; just to hear her again.

I pulled my shirt on and grabbed my phone, shoving it deep into my pocket. I hoisted my back pack over my shoulder and quickly left the house.

“What the hell is wrong with me?”  I put my earphones in and started the twenty minute jog to school.  The sun was beginning to rise over the park. The orange and pink stripes that were sprayed over the sky were usually one of my favorite sites. Today, all I could see was the deep gray of Meadow Black’s eyes. I closed my eyes tight and turned up my iPod, trying desperately to redirect my mind to the voice of Lil Wayne. “Rick likes her.”  I reasoned with my mind one last time. Pushing a little bit harder, I picked up my speed, just enough to raise my heart rate but not enough to cause a sweat.  “Forget about her” I mumbled as I prepared myself for the steep hill right before I hit the school grounds.

 “Hey Dy, what are you doing this weekend?”  Christy came up behind me, wrapping her arms around me, and resting her hands on my chest. I took one of her hands in mine and twisted around to face her.  

Christy and I dated when we were younger, real young, and I really liked her. She was my first kiss, and also my first heart break. She broke up with me, but she has regretted it since. I guess she thought I would beg her, or run after her until she took me back. I didn’t, and I never will. It took me a long time to get over her, but now after years, seeing her with other guys doesn’t bother me.

When I look into her honey-brown eyes; surrounded by thick long lashes, I feel myself giving into to her. Her milk chocolate skin is smooth, her cheek bones are defined, and her electric smile completes the beauty that is Christy.

I smiled and settled in to her. I was about to wrap my arms around her and bring out my low octane voice to complete my swagger. Then she spoke.

“I am going to Jessie’s party this weekend with Jordan…” She took her hand from mine and pushed her hair off of her shoulder.  I stepped back two feet and put my hands in my pockets. “…are you coming” She put her hands on her hips and waited for my reply.

There it is, there she is, the real Christy. If she wants to make me jealous it’s not going to work. I smiled and lowered my face to the floor for a chance to extinguish the sarcasm that was pushing to get out.

“I don’t know if I am going or not. I have a game Friday night. I may be too tired to go afterwards.”

 I probably wouldn’t go. I don’t usually go to those parties, unless they are hosted by a team mate or a close friend of mine. Even if I did want to go, I wouldn’t now. I have no interest in watching Christy hang all over Jordan; which just happens to be my cousin. I know she is using him to get to me, I won’t let that happen.

I smiled again as the thought ran through my mind. What she doesn’t know is, I also know Jordan; he is using her too, but for other reasons. He has a girlfriend that attends our rival school; she must be busy this weekend.

“Have fun” I said simply as I stood to catch up with Rick, Shawn, and Jacob.  I heard Christy make a smacking noise with her mouth and new she rolled her eyes at my back.