Chapter 9 A River runs through it

Meadow

I pulled my sheet and cover down, half way down my bed.  I crawled into my cozy black flannel sheets and grabbed my phone. Cuddling deep into my comfy blankets; I threw my hair up above my head on the pillow and held my phone…waiting.

10:56p.m.

The party had gone fairly well. The best moment of the night was when Dakota informed me that Dyson likes me. I still can’t believe it. When Dy walked in from the patio, and I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. His beautiful eyes, his hard rock body, his lips, his hands, there was nothing I wasn’t starring at. I wanted to talk to him about it right then so bad; I was with Rick. I had to tell everything to be still.

When I heard he was leaving I couldn’t just stand there and not tell him bye. I wanted him to stay; I wanted to be near him. I would have gladly stayed at that party all night just to watch him. When he asked me if he could call me at eleven o’clock I couldn’t hold in my excitement.

I think Rick knew that I was…well, preoccupied. I tried really hard to pay attention to him, but all I could do was watch the clock. I couldn’t wait to get home and talk to Dyson.  When Rick dropped me off my house he tried to kiss me goodnight. I leaned away from him and tried my best to be nice about it, but I ended up being blunter than what was really necessary.

“Well, I really had a great time tonight. But honestly I think we are better off as friends.” I couldn’t look him in the eyes. I knew this was going to bother him. But there was no use in beating around about it. I couldn’t think about anything or anyone but Dyson Knight; it was the right thing to do.

Rick looked out of his window and sighed deeply. “You like someone else don’t you” It was a fact not a question. The real question was how did he know? Or maybe how couldn’t he know?

“I’m sorry Rick. I am really sorry. I hope we can stay friends.” I gathered my purse and began to open the door. The silence from him and awkwardness was consuming.

With one last glance in Rick’s direction; he was still glaring out his window at nothing. “Goodnight Rick.”

I shut the door as I heard his grunt of recognition. He pulled off in a hurry before the door fully clicked shut.

I felt truly bad for him. I never intended to hurt him. I shouldn’t have agreed to allow him to call me to begin with.

Glancing at my watch a smile spread across my face, despite the images of Rick’s sadness. Dyson is calling in less than a hour.

The phone vibrated in my hand pulling me back to reality. The green and purple lights flashed as a picture I had stolen from his Facebook page, came into view.  One more ring, I didn’t want to be too anxious.

As I hit the accept button the picture faded away and ‘1 missed call’ replaced his beautiful face.

“SHIT” I sat up in the bed quickly and turned on the bed side lamp.

I stared at the phone realizing what I had just done. “Damn it…call back!”  I had the phone in both hands shaking it profusely. “Please, call back” after all, there is no way I could call him…right?

The butterfly covered piece of electronic equipment suddenly let out a small vibrate, as if to say please give me a break.

‘1 voicemail’

In one swift accurate motion, due to habit, I had the voice mail up and password entered before the electronic voice could command me to do so.

“Yo, it’s Dyson. I am going to bed, I’ll call you tomorrow.”  His voice sounded so deep on the phone. I laid back on my pillows and pressed one to repeat the message. I closed my eyes and pictured his face, his lips, his beautiful eyes; I let out a deep sigh of disappointment and lust all at once.