Chapter 4

Meadow

Mrs. McBea was going over our routine, once again, for this week’s game.  I couldn’t keep my eyes on her; instead, I was searching the field for number 22. I wanted a glimpse of Dyson. A smile ran across my face as his face came into my memory. His face combined with the deep addicting voice that belongs to him, left me feeling like a love-struck idiot.

I shook my head and made myself at least look in the general direction of the babbling teacher.

“Girls, I do not have to tell you how important this routine is. You all know that this Friday will be the last game before our own competition in Charlotte. Hit every beat, nail every move, and most important, LAND EVERY THROW!”  Mrs. Bea’s eyes landed on me as the last part was sternly drilled into our souls.

I broke eye contact with her and dropped my eyes to the ground. Maybe I should just tell her I can’t do it so one of the other girls can take my part. The thought of giving up made me so angry. I am a lot of things but a quitter is not one of them.

The heat had drained us of most of our energy and we all were in desperate need of a shower.

I loaded my props in my bag as the other girls were already heading towards the locker rooms.

“Did you ever land that toss?” Kota was weary to ask, she knew the answer.

“No, I haven’t” The frustration was evident.  I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder.  “I will though Kota, I will.”

“Are you going to the party Friday night” Kota was changing the subject, trying to lighten the mood.  I took in a deep breath and tried to relax.

“Yea, I am going.”  I said, snappier than I wanted to.

“I am looking forward to just hanging out this weekend. I so need it.” I purposely drained the sour mood from my voice and was determined to let Color guard go until I went home.

“Good, we all need a break.”  Kota pulled her sunglasses up and rested them on her head as we walked into the gym.

“Kota!” Shawn was sprinting towards her. His face was red from the heat.

I was about to walk into the locker room when a few of his friends came in behind him. I’ll stay for a few more minutes, just in case Dyson is one of them.

“Are you riding home with me today?” Shawn took Kota’s bag of props and slung it over his own shoulder along with his own bag.

“Meadow and I both are. We are going to your house for a swim before we practice our routine a few times.”  This was news to me. Shawn’s eyes lit up with excitement as he took my bag as well. I was just about to protest when Dyson, Rick, and some other guy I didn’t know, walked in behind Shawn. I purposely kept my eyes on Shawn, and fought the enormous urge to stare at Dyson.

“I’ll order dinner, and if we have time, a movie.” Shawn was such a girl sometimes. Of course the only reason he wanted a movie was so he could have an hour and a half to make out with Kota, while I tried desperately to block them out.  I hate being the third wheel.

“While you two are practicing a few of the guys and I are going to practice some plays for the game Friday. Then we all can go for a swim.”  Kota wrapped her arms around Shawn’s neck and gave him a kiss. Ewe, they both were so sweaty, I guess neither noticed.

I wonder which “guys” were going to be coming along. I finally allowed my eyes to drift over to Dyson for a split second. I was disappointed when I saw that he was looking across the gym. I also noticed Rick was starring a whole through me. I gave him a slight grin and instantly felt bad for doing it. I don’t need to allow poor Rick to think that I am interested in him… at all.