Chapter 7

Dyson

The sudden urge to rip Meadow away from Rick and hold her like I had before the game was sickening. I literally had to make myself be still.

I watched her look down at her feet as if she is shy or something. I know better. She is confident and has every right to be.

I wanted to congratulate her for her half time performance. She landed it perfectly. No one would have guessed that less than 24 hours ago she couldn’t land it for nothing. She looked like she was a pro. I couldn’t help but feel like I had something to do with that, and I was proud of her, but mostly just proud to be a part of something good in her life; no matter how small it is.

Her beautiful eyes found mine. I should look away, but I just couldn’t. She bit her bottom lip, making me want to do the same to her innocent lower lip. Is it possible that she has no idea how beautiful she is? Rick looked at me and scowled like a bulldog. I had to suppress a laugh. Did he think I was going to just back off and let him have her without a fight? She will be the only one to make that happen. I value Rick’s friendship, but I will not let her go for anyone.

Rick turned back towards her as his eyes began to glaze with anger. I could see his body stiffening as he looked at me.

Meadow’s face turned a bright glowing red color. Was she flushing because she was caught starring at me? Or because of what she was thinking while I was starring at her?

They exchanged some words I couldn’t hear before her gaze hit me one last time, with a smile included. I was just about to run after her to congratulate her on her performance when Christy came running up to me and grabbed my arm.

I watched as Kota and Shawn joined Meadow. Meadow reached back and took her hair out of the pony tail and sprayed across her back. I watched her until she turned the corner out of my sight.

“Dyson” Christy was yelling now.

“What!” I said more snappy than I attended but just as I felt.  “What Christy, what do you want” I added as I began to walk towards the locker rooms.

I noticed she wasn’t walking beside me. I turned to look at her. Christy was standing with one hand on her hip and one across her belly. Her face has always shown all of her emotions, and right now it was blank, with her mouth hanging open; she was shocked that I had raised my voice at her.

“Um, what the hell is wrong with you?” She came strutting up to me with pure anger flowing now. “All I did was asked you a question, but you were being rude; ignoring me, watching that white girl walk off. I know you ain’t interested in Dakota Frank” Christy didn’t even try to hide her sarcasm and laughter.

“Everybody knows she belongs to Shawn, and they love each other.” She waited impatiently for me to respond.

“I wasn’t watching anybody leave.” I turned back towards the locker room. I don’t have time for this. She sped up to catch up with me, still splattering sarcastic remarks my way.

“And I know you ain’t into no white girls anyway.” She added confident in her words. Why would she think I was into white girls? I never have been before now. Not that I don’t like white people, I have just always been attracted to black girls.

“I’m not into Kota.” I could feel my muscles in my jaw tighten along with my grip on my helmet. Christy didn’t even try to hear me; she just kept talking over me.

I stopped quickly and turned towards her, making Christy’s mouth shut closed and eyes open wide.

“I am not interested in Dakota. But I am interested in Meadow. Not that this is any of your business Christy. Why would it even matter to you? You had your chance with me…” I saw the realization come over her face that I had finally found someone else I was interested in.  I had never told her this before.  My tone lightened up as the memories of the first time I had seen her with another guy hit me. My body relaxed some, but I refused to stop now.