Chapter 25- Don't cry over broken Glass

“Meadow!”

I stopped just before reaching my car and turned towards the voice. Rick was sprinting towards me. He threw his back pack in the back of his truck, only a few spaces from mine.

“Hey, Rick.” I turned back towards my car and unlocked it, threw my book bag in the back seat and shut the door back. I shoved my cell deep in my pocket and leaned against the car door.

“You want to go get some dinner?” Rick was breathing heavy as he stopped in front of me.

I didn’t want to be mean, but I wasn’t going to date Rick. I was scared this was going to happen, but also I didn’t have the nerve to tell him to leave me alone. Selfish, I know, but I didn’t want to be alone right now.

“Rick…I” He cut me off and took a step closer putting his hands on my shoulders.

“Listen, just as friends…that’s all. I know you don’t need to be alone right now.  You need someone to be there, and I am right here. Just worried about you is all. If you don’t want to- it’s okay.” I closed my mouth and looked Rick up one side and down the other. Is he being honest with me? I really do need someone but I only need a friend…nothing else.

“Okay, Rick. I will.” I reached up and hugged him. Maybe too much, but I needed the hug, the affection. I wanted to feel strong arms holding me up for a moment.

“Okay, I’ll be by your house around six okay?” Rick barely squeezed me and set me back on my feet. To my utter surprise, I instantly missed his affection.

I stepped away from him and nodded. My eyes hit the ground and I pushed a piece of hair- that wasn’t there- behind my ear.  For some reason, I felt embarrassed.

“See ya then.” I sat in the car and watched Rick walk to his truck. He was smiling from ear to ear and I craned my neck to see who he had waved at. I couldn’t see anyone. He got in his truck and pulled out in front of me, he through me a wave- still smiling as he past by my window. I waved and let out a small chuckle.

Who knew Rick could be human?

~~

“It’s just Rick mom. Dyson is not going to be there.” I placed my empty cup in the sink. “Trust me.” I whispered under my breath.

“I don’t know Meadow. The last time I trusted you, I found you lay up in a bed with a boy.” I was so sick of hearing about that I could scream.

“Yea, whatever.” I said, “Just forget it. I’ll rot in my damn room…alone!” I darted towards the steps and before I could reach them I heard my mom running after me.

“Meadow, you stop right there…and I mean it!”

My blood boiled in my veins.

“Oh, you want me to listen to you- to what you have to say? Well, guess what I don’t give a shit! Just like you have done to me for the last few weeks. Had you took the time to listen to me, then the love of my life wouldn’t be hanging on every girl he comes across!“ I came back down the steps and stood square face to face with my mom.

“We came back to the Inn at five in the morning. I fell asleep beside Dyson on the bed because I was exhausted from the worry and pain I had been going through all weekend long. I had considered calling you…of all people, but I ended up calling Shawn, because I was scared Kota was going to die or something.  When I called him they were already on their way. They had booked a room in the same hotel but they never got to stay in it!”

My mom put her hand over her mouth.

“Don’t act so surprised mother. After all, I am just an irresponsible, stupid, child that can’t handle a little freedom. I have descent grades and am almost always honest with my parents…Hell, I am still a virgin! But you wouldn’t know that would you…nor care in the least. Instead, you single handedly ruined my first love. I lost Dyson because you are a selfish Bithch!” I was screaming now, shaking from the rage that was coming out of me.