Chapter (1) ✔

"Daddy can you please transfer some money in my bank account? I need it to buy a dress for a very special occasion." My younger sister batted her eyes and pouted her lips trying to appear cute infront of our father, but he didn't even glance at her.

No doubt she was gorgeous, she was a natural beauty infact. Her straight blonde hair, along with her tanned complexion and 5'8 frame made any guy swoon at her feet. Comparatively, I was 2 inches shorter at my 5'6 frame, and had long, dark, wavy hair that contrasted with my pale complexion. I guess I took after my mother while she took after father.

There was no doubt that she was the pretty one among us two. Not only did we look different, our personalities were totally opposite too. As a teenager she was all about clothes, money and dating while I was all about books, family time and well more books. I don't remember dating anyone my entire life, despite being asked out by several guys. I clearly remember being entitled 'Emily Lesbian Boston' by my peers. Not that I minded, I mean hey, what's wrong with not being straight? I guess homophobia was at it's peak in those days.

"Sure Lilly, I'll transfer some dollars right away." Dad replied without taking his eyes off the screen. He didn't even ask her what the occasion was. He was being occupied by a lot of work since the past few days which made me worry about his health. And then there was Lilly who didn't even care. She was a spoiled brat who always got what she wanted.

Grinning at his reply she gave him a quick peck on the cheek and left through the front door yelling, "I'll be back soon."

"You hungry dad?" I asked him as I sat next to him on the sofa. "No, not hungry." He replied with a smile closing the tab and I saw mother's picture set as the wallpaper.

It has been his wallpaper ever since the day she died, almost a year ago. It was hard for us all. She seemed very healthy, but the fact was that she was hiding her heart disease from us. She already knew that she was going to die, and told the doctors to keep it a secret from us. Father even started drinking for months and months after her death. She was irreplaceable in his heart. Even though he could and still can, he still refuses to marry anyone else.

Thinking about her made my eyes become all watery. Dad gave me a small smile. "You know, she would have been very proud to see you turn into a beautiful young lady and care for this old hag." He said pointing to himself. His comment made me smile. After that we both started reminiscing about some of the past memories. We talked an talked, until I got really tired and drifted to sleep on the couch.

~

I woke up to the sound of someone yelling. I looked around me and saw that I was in my bedroom now. Dad probably carried me here. I hurried downstairs.

He was standing in the kitchen, talking to someone on the phone. Lilly was sitting there eating her breakfast with her headphones tucked in her ears, without any care in the world.

At that point, I actually wanted to punch her.

She raised her eyebrows as she saw me approach her with my hands in fists. I pointed towards dad, however she just shrugged and turned back to her food. Ofcourse, why would she know. She was not concerned with anyone in this house.

It was probably a business call. I wondered if there were any problems at work. However I seriously doubted that, since the sales were really smooth and the company was still making huge profits.

After more yelling, he kept his mobile down and gave me a sad smile, which made my heart tear up. I held in the tears that threatened to escape. He was missing mom more than usual nowadays. She shouldn't have left us like that. She should have atleast told her husband if not us. He keeps blaming himself for not being able to do anything.

The rest of the day passed by, with very less interaction with him. He wanted to be left alone. Then night came. And that night was the night when I cried the most after mother's death. It was the night when I thought that I lost him too. It was the night when dad ended up in the hospital due to a heart attack. It was the night when I thought I had lost everything.