Chapter 13: Back on the Road

Hey everybody, it's your friendly neighborhood Author Man!

Sorry about no chapter yesterday, guys. I meant to update this story but I was working on some projects in the background instead.

See ya in another life Brotha!

*Third Person POV*

Y/n, Leaf, and Grady stepped on to the dirt path, heading along Route 3 towards Mount Moon. Turning their backs to Pewter City, what will our heroes discover this time?

"Alright guys!" Y/n said, leading the ground, "Full speed, straight for Mount Moon!"

And so they did, heading off to face whatever awaited them in along the way...

*Y/n POV*

We had stopped to take a break, sitting and eating the sandwiches we had packed. As we did, I kept hearing rustling in the bushes to my left, but when I looked there was nothing there.

"What's wrong, Y/n?" Leaf asked.

"I...thought I saw something," I said, shaking my head, "It's probably nothing."

"Sure..." Grady said, "Whatever you say, man."

After a few more minutes, we stood back up and continued on our way. I still felt like I was being watched from the bushes or the shadows, something just out of sight just boring holes into me with its eyes.

"Hey Togepi," I whispered to my partner Pokémon, "Do you feel like we're being watched?"

"Toge..." He nodded, "Pi-pi..."

"Let's keep going," I said, noticing that Leaf and Grady had kept going as we stopped, "The sooner we get out of here, the better."

I kept walking, turning a few corners and walking down the path. Somehow, Leaf and Grady had gotten far ahead of me, and I had lost them.

"What the heck?" I asked no one in particular, "Where are they? They were here just a minute ago..."

*Third Person POV*

As Y/n began to look around, Togepi looked over his shoulder to look as well. As he did, he noticed something moving out of the corner of his eye.

"Pi?"

He turned to see what it was, only to see nothing. A few leaves slowly floated to the ground, but nothing was out of the ordinary. He was turning back to look at Y/n's map, when suddenly a shadow ran across the corner of his vision again, this time running between bushes.

"Toge! PI PI!"

He began to frantically jump and hit Y/n on the shoulder, trying to get his attention.

"Not now Togepi," Y/n said, waving his hand, "I'm trying to figure out where we're going."

Togepi turned back to face the shadow, and this time saw bright red eyes staring at him from the bushes. Terrified, he turned back and grabbed Y/n's face, forcing him to look.

"Togepi, what the-" 

Seeing the glowing red eyes, Y/n stopped in place. Both now paralyzed with fear, Togepi and Y/n were frozen in place as the bright red eyes began to come closer.

"Oh no," Y/n said, as the shadow began to come close, "Oh Arceus, no!"

"Togepi!"

Screaming in unison, Y/n and Togepi clung to each other as the shadow leapt out and charged at them to attack.

The massive shadow leapt and began its assault, it's hulking form standing tall over the two. It seemed like it could crush them in an instant, as it stood above them.

*Y/n POV*

Suddenly, I felt something poke against my leg. I heard a small squeak and slowly opened one eye, looking down to see a small Pokémon ramming me in the leg repeatedly.

"Wait, is this what was following us?" I asked, "What is it?"

I pulled out my pokedex and pointed it at the Pokémon, as the pokedex entry came up.

"Nidoran: The Poison Pin Pokémon. Its large ears are flapped like wings when it is listening to distant sounds. It extends toxic barbs when angered."

"Huh, interesting," I said, "What's up little guy? What's wrong?"

He headbutted my leg once more, and it became obvious. He wanted to fight me and Togepi. But he was a little stronger than Togepi, I could seriously hurt him.

"Sorry buddy," I said, "We're kinda busy right now, so we gotta go."

I stepped over him to walk away, but he jumped in front of me, stopping me from leaving.

"Alright," I sighed, "Fine, we'll battle you. But don't get mad at us if you lose."

Togepi and Nidoran stood on opposite sides of the path, facing each other. I stood behind Togepi, as the Nidoran charged for its first attack.

"Togepi, use Extrasensory. Try to be careful!"

Togepi used Extrasensory and stopped the Nidoran in its place, knocking it to the ground in one fell swoop.

"I warned you," I sighed, "See ya later Nidoran. We gotta get going."

*Third Person POV*

As Y/n and Togepi turned and continued to walk towards Mount Moon, Nidoran slowly opened its eyes and watched them go, letting out a disappointed sigh.

Suddenly, he saw someone come around the corner, also watching as Y/n and Togepi left.

"Damn him," The Team Rocket Grunt growled, "You may have been able to embarrass me and blow my cover at the gym, but Team Rocket will rise again!"

She pulled out a walkie-talkie and began to speak into it, saying, "Squad B, this is Grunt A. He's on his way, are you guys ready?"

"Roger that Grunt A," A voice replied, "We're all good to go. We'll get him good."

"Good to hear."

The grunt put away her walkie-talkie and began to cackle meniaclly, as she followed behind where Y/ had gone.

Nidoran watched with wide eyes as she left, then pushed itself weakly onto its feet.

It had to find that guy before she did.

Y/n was in trouble.