Chapter 18 - Tristan

As I step out of the bathroom, I look to the empty bed. Last night and this morning was a slip-up. Her questions reminded me that there's no time for romance in this war. Especially in my position. What kind of example am I setting for the rest of my team. I'm supposed to be focused. That's how mistakes happen and someone dies.

But taking Ava last night....and again, this morning. Well, no one actually has been in this bed, not even Lily, so there's a first. And I never stuck around for a morning fuck, because I was always a cold bastard and the females, I tried my best to choose, were easy. Something to scratch the itch. I feel my dick twitch at the thought of last night and this morning.

I rub my face, trying to shake my train of thought out of what went down. I need to seriously focus on the mission, our strategy, my team, and getting Ava through her transition.

Fuck.

The list of all of the responsibilities sober me up.

I walk into the closet and dress. I hear someone enter the room and sense its Bran.

"So..." He starts as I roll my eyes. I exit the closet and sit down on the bench to tie up my boots. "I saw Ava leave your room." This gets me to snap my head up irritated at the thought of Bran seeing her in just the bed sheet, but I recover quickly.

"Were there any issues with what was in the room?" I ask, trying not to think of the jealousy that's simmering in the pit of my stomach.

"No, no. Not at all." Bran's staring at me with a sly smile on his face. "Tristan." I get back up and head back into the closet to get my belt and weapons. "What's the plan?" He asks cautiously.

I exhale a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. I was a bit distracted from the issue, but now, it's inevitable that we need a game plan for Ava.

"Have ya thought about what ya want to do?" I look back over at him.

"Honestly, Bran. I'm not sure." I walk back out and sit down on the couch facing the skyline. He walks over by me, but remains standing looking out at the skyline as well.

"Well, what are the options?" He asks.

"Send her to New York. Train her, and recommend we keep her here?" Dread fills my stomach. "Both of those options are going to result in the Royals finding out about her. It's inevitable that they'll find out, but we need to be smart about this."

"I agree."

"If Lily finds out before more know, she'll kill her."

"What about the others?"

"I don't know. I need to speak to the High Guard. He'll know what to do."

"When?"

"After breakfast, I'll make the call."

"When will it happen?" I put my head into my hands.

"She asked to wait."

"What? Why?" I lift my head up.

"She wants to finish school. Tie up the loose ends, seems like."

"Have you told her that -." He pauses, saying out loud what I never thought I'd consider for anyone. "You're considerin it, because you don't know if she'll survive after she transforms." My heart clenches as he speaks the words out loud. "Tristan, she will survive. We will help her. No matter what. We will help her survive."

"The Royals are going to find out and when they do, who the fuck knows what they'll spew to the communities. They've already made all of you out to be comparable to slaves. Fucking property." I spit out, pissed at the ignorant mindset my species still holds. Bran chuckles.

"Tristan, I'm not afraid, nor have I ever been of those twats with their crowns so far up their arses. They're not who I report to. You are."

"And I report to them, so ya, you do report to them.

"Nay. Ya report to the High Guard and ya know it. Those twats control their little groups, but they don't fight. They need us, which is why, even though they may discriminate against us, without us, they'd have to get their hands dirty, which will never happen."

"Don't underestimate them, Bran. Especially Cole and Charles. They may be Royals, but they've been trained."

"Aye, trained yes, but have they fought against real demons? Until they fight beside me, sorry mate, we're not going to agree on this one." I don't blame Bran for thinking this way, but I fear that his arrogance will get him condemned. He's my most experienced fighter, the most deadly. How any of the Royals could not respect him simply because of his bloodline is beyond me, but I don't make the rules. I gave up on trying to make things right with our government system. I focused on what I felt like I can really help with, which was the real war. The war with the demons.

"I need to speak to the High Guard, privately. Before I explain anything further to Ava. Can you arrange it?"

"Aye. Breakfast is waiting in the kitchen"

"Who's on rotation?"

"Alcander, Imaran, Qadir, Hagan, and myself."

"Where are the others?"

"Sleeping, working out, and gaming."

"Advise them this level is off limits until I advise them otherwise." Deklin saw Ava, but he doesn't share anything with anyone.

"Aye, ya want me to stick around?"

"Yes. I'll speak with Ava privately, but I need you to keep an eye on her while I speak with the High Guard."

"Ok. I'll be in the kitchen." Bran heads out as I stare out at the skyline. It feels like the calm before the storm.

***Please don't forget to comment or like the chapter!!! I'd really appreciate it! ***