Chapter 14 - Ava

Hello parallel universe.  Name's Ava, but you probably already know that.  My life has, again, turned in so many off directions that I have no choice but to sit back and enjoy the ride.  I really don't know where to start to try to understand what's happening.  From breaking up with Damien and kicking his ass to the sporadic makeout sessions with Tristan.  I'm at a loss for words.  He's obviously attracted to me, but I can see he's yelling at himself to back the fuck off. 

All of this doesn't seem real and it's happening so fast.  The car ride over wasn't too bad, with the exception of Tristan being so hot and cold to me.  I, too, am confused with what to do about our connection that we both seem to be fighting.  I wonder why, though.  I don't like the idea of jumping from one relationship to another and I'm not saying that that's what I want, but at the same time, yolo, right? What am I even thinking?  I just met Tristan and I know nothing about him.  I feel stupid for even thinking like this.

He wasn't kidding about being close to Navy Pier.  This is such an odd location to be living in when you want to be hidden, but then again, the phrase, hidden in plain sight comes to mind.  As we enter the lobby, my heart's still racing from our hot makeout session in the elevator.  I can't believe that just happened.  Never in my 21 years of life have I ever experienced the chemistry I have with Tristan.  There's no awkwardness or tension, just passion.  I guess not many people experience this, so I'm lucky to have it even if it may be short lived. 

I look around the lobby area.

"Chicago Windy Security?  You live at a Security Company?"  I look at him confused.  He's grinning at me with that sly smile that I'm beginning to appreciate as his trademark.

"It's our job.  We have to make money somehow and the High Guard who serves the Royals is the one that proposed this hundreds of years ago and it took off.  It allowed for us to blend in better with humans."  He continues past the eye scanner and I hear the glass doors click.

"After you."  He holds the door open for me.  Such a gentleman.  He leads me up the spiral staircase into another lobby, but this one is a bit more sophisticated and there's someone sitting at the desk with their head down.

"Evening boss."  The guy waves without looking up.  He's wearing a baseball cap that reads CWS on the front.

"Steve."  As we finally approach the desk, Steve looks up and makes eye contact with me.  He's a young guy, maybe in his 30s.  I suddenly feel self conscious, because the guy's turned red and is staring at me.  Do I have something on my face?  He finally looks back over at Tristan.

"Steve, this is Ava.  Please enter her in the system."  He says curtly.  I notice Tristan's posture has changed and he's moved a little closer to me.  My mind immediately goes to him being jealous of Steve's attention on me, which has to be completely absurd to begin with.  But, again, I'm going with my gut on this one and I feel somewhat too satisfied at the thought of Tristan going all caveman on some random person that seems to be nice and doing his job.

"Sure.  Anything else?"

"Anything exciting tonight?"  Steve looks back at me and I can see I'm making him uncomfortable.

"No, sir.  Some noise complaints, but that's it."

"Good, keep up the good work."  Steve turns an even brighter red and turns toward the computer.  We start walking past the desk and through another door that somehow magically clicks upon Tristan reaching for the door handle.

I've noticed at least 15 cameras since we've entered this building.  What are they guarding and monitoring?

"Hey, when you told Steve to enter me into the system, how is he going to do that with just my first name?"  I ask Tristan as we continue down a hallway that has offices on both sides, but all of the doors are closed.