Chapter 7 - Ava

Instead of attacking the guy who was my target, I'm now laying on his chest while his hands, interestingly, have gone around me as if he's protecting me.

Chaos ensues.

It takes a split second to realize that I wasn't walking into just one demon. I was walking into a hoard of demons. I've only dealt with one before and it was in a weakened state. Nothing like this.

These demons are huge, smell so bad, and are just nasty looking. But before I could comprehend what's happening, fire appears everywhere and the ground begins to shake as if there is an earthquake.

But this is Chicago. We don't get earthquakes.

Everything is happening so fast, I'm completely caught off guard until one of the demons lands right next to my face that's still smushed into the guy's chest. It snarls at me, which kicks me out of my shock and into high gear.

I knee the guy holding me, which causes him to release me instantly. I hop up just as the demon tries to slash at me with its claws.

This is nothing like I've ever encountered before, but I'll think this through once this is all over. If I survive, that is.

Without any hesitation, I attack the demon. Most fights tend to end up on the ground. My training kicks in and I stun my opponent by maneuvering myself fast enough and latching onto its neck with my thighs and throwing my weight around to throw the demon onto the ground under me. I grab one of the arms and pull as hard as I can. Just as I'm about to yank the arm out of its socket, I get stunned by its wings popping out and shaking me off.

But that doesn't stop me. It takes a lot more to take me down.

We both scramble back up to engage again, but this time, right at the last second, I do a quick couple side steps back and forth, confusing the demon, use its hip as a step up, twist myself up and around the demons torso so I'm sitting on it's one shoulder and slip my knife out of my shin holster and stab the fucker right in the head.

And just like that, the thing collapses right under me into a puff of putrid sulfuric smoke. My satisfaction is short lived as I look around to see the others still engaged with about twenty demons. All the other guys that had wings are fighting the demons, except one. And he's looking right at me with the brightest red eyes I have ever seen and look like the evil eyes I normally see, but there's no evil, again. Those have got to be contacts, right? But contacts don't glow.

I don't know what to do. There's chaos around me, but I can't seem to break eye contact with those red eyes. Time literally stops as I stare back at this very attractive, tall, winged guy dressed in all black staring at me. He looks pissed and intrigued at the same time. Eye contact is broken as I'm bulldozed down by a demon and one of the guys that looks Arabic.

Yelling starts, but I have no clue what's being said. It sounds French? No. Spanish? It doesn't matter. All I know is that the guy seems to have several bite wounds and scratches that look nasty. The demon doesn't realize he's got two opponents now so I take advantage of his mistake and perform the same move I did on the first demon I stabbed. It takes 5 seconds to poof the demon out of its misery, but before I even land on the ground, I'm yanked up by the back of my sweatshirt.

"Hey! What the fuck?!" I try to maneuver my way around to see who it is and dread what I turn to find. Those bright red eyes are on me again, holding me up off the ground. It would actually be comical to see this, but under the circumstances, I'm too hyped up on adrenaline and fear.

Before I even know what I'm doing, my instincts kick in and I attempt use my weight to swing over onto the guy's torso to bring him down, but instead, I'm thrown sideways and pinned to the ground facedown.

"Stay down" his accented voice commands calmly right next to my ear as he holds me face down on the ground, which suddenly and totally unexpectedly shoots the most uncomfortable feeling between my legs. Really? I'm somehow turned on right now?

"What the fuck?! Let me up! I can help! I killed two of them already! And why the fuck are you just standing off to the side while your guys get pummeled?!" I spit back hoping he'll let me up. Also, assuming that all of the normal looking guys are together. Instead, he puts one hand on my head and a command goes through my mind.

Sleep. I feel my eyes start to get heavy, but I resist.

"Stop!" I scream and try to wiggle myself out of his hold. Apparently he's surprised, because I can see his expression is grim and confused. I turn my head to the other side and see that the fighting hasn't let up. One of the guys, which I've come to somewhat realize, are the good guys, is on the ground face down.

It's like a warzone. There's about 10 demons left, but the good guys apparently have grown in numbers. There were 5, but now I can see there's an even number of demons to good guys.

Watching the chaos causes something inside me to snap. I can feel myself scream, but my hearing is numbed out. I feel myself released from my captur. I don't know if it's because of something I did or if he let go voluntarily, but it doesn't matter. All at once, random fires start around the fighting, rain starts pouring down, wind starts whipping strongly, and the ground begins to shake. But none of this phases me. Time slows down as I take in the entire scene and I grab for the first demon closest to me who is fighting a good guy with 2 swords. I grab my other knife from my other ankle holster and stab the fucker in the head.

I need to get out of here. There is too much going on and I know I can't handle it so I do what my gut tells me to do.

Run.

A few things you should always do when running away from danger is: Never look back. Run fast. Run hard.

I sprint down the street and turn down one of the alley ways that leads to a bunch of garages. I turn again to get myself back to another street. If I'm being followed, I'll find out soon enough. I run an extra 2 blocks around the area where my car is just to be safe that no one is, indeed, following me. I finally slow down as my car comes into view and I can sense that no ones behind me.

I get into my car and lock the doors, as if that would somehow help. I turn the car on and speed off away from the area.

What the hell just happened? Did I imagine it? Did it really happen? I really don't know what to think. My hands are shaking from the adrenaline. I really don't know what to think. Was it real? Am I dreaming? I glance over at the clock and it's 11PM on a Thursday night. Barely anyone is out on the streets. I'm driving the speed limit even though I feel like speeding home, but I don't want to bring any attention to myself. Out of nowhere, and to confirm that I did just fight in some kind of minibattle, the red eyed guy with enormous black wings drops out of the sky and lands in front of my car, causing me to slam on my brakes.

***Please don't forget to comment or like the chapter!!! I'd really appreciate it! ***