38 ◦ Tied (RPOV)

December 10th 2016

“Fifteen days!” Aunt Alice screamed from the other side of the house. “Fifteen! There’s still so much to do!”

“Alice,” Mom scolded her. “Chill. You’ve had almost twice as much time to plan this one than you planned mine. Nobody’s worried.” Her and Dad constantly reminded Alice of this.

“That doesn’t matter! There is always room for improvement,” Alice dismissed her, clearly irritated.

“Hey, Ness.” I looked up to see Jacob’s head bobbing up the stairs. I smiled at him. “Has he said anything?”

Two days ago days ago, I got a phone call from Kalona, saying he’ll have news from his father soon.

Apparently, he was writing a contract for my internship. It included an income statement, and possibly my own office space that would be paid for while I worked there. In turn, my scholarship would get credits for it. It was an opportunity on top of the opportunity.

“Not yet. I should hear from him by tomorrow.”

I was then distracted by Uncle Em’s feindish laughter toward Jasper, who was behind him with a disgusted expression on his face.

“What’d he do now, Jazz?” Jake asked.

Jasper closed his eyes slowly in exasperation. Emmett laughed louder. He always knew how to get on someone’s nerve.

He rounded the corner, letting us see his clothes now. They were ripped and covered in blood. Uncle Jasper needed to be neat and tidy.

“I riled up a bear before letting Jasper have him. Priceless.”

“Ohhh no!” Esme reprimanded. “Go hose that off!”

“Uh-oh. Mom’s mad.” Emmett’s face dimmed a shade. Such a momma’s boy.

Jazz was outside in a flash with Em on his heel.

“Pigs,” I heard Rosalie mutter from upstairs.

I started thinking about what Alice said. Fifteen days. Just fifteen days, and I’d be married to my wolf. The love of my existence.

“What’s got you all smiley?” Jake asked, standing in front of me.

I stared dumbly up into his face. “I love you.”

He laughed once. “And I love you, too. But what exactly were you thinking about?”

“I never thought about marriage until you asked me. We already had each other forever, I was sure of that. But, for some reason... this feels different. Like, concrete. I don’t know. It’s comforting.”

We continued to gaze into each other’s eyes, and I knew he agreed with me.

He held out his hand, and I took it immediately. “Come take a walk with me.”

He led me down a pathway in the forest, a pathway that hadn’t been there long. We’ve walked through these specific trees so often, it started forming itself. I knew where he was taking me.

Our special place.

The waterfall.

“From the first time I looked into your eyes, I’ve felt complete.” He stared at our intertwined hands, and we stopped to sit down on the wet rocks.

“I remember that moment.”

He looked shocked. “You do?”

I nodded. “It was my fourth memory after being born. My dad’s face, my mom’s.” I paused as I remembered what she looked like. “Aunt Rose, and you.” I squeezed his hand. “I felt it, too. I never wanted to be too far from you.”