6 ∘ Truth: Part One (JPOV)

September 11th, 2016

Everyone was so happy for Renesmee and I. As soon as the Cullens congratulated us, we went to my house to see my dad. I called my sisters a few days ago, so Rebecca and Rachel were there, too. I'd never seen Nessie happier.

We were gonna stay there for a night and then I'd tell her the truth about my past when we got back to her home. I just didn't know how yet.

Part of me thought she wouldn't care because it was so long ago. But the other part of me was sure she'd throw the engagement ring in my face, and my life would be over.

"How soon would you like it to be?" she asked me. We were laying in my tiny bed, talking about wedding details. She wouldn't stop eyeing and twisting her ring. The smile did not leave her face.

"Whenever you want is perfectly fine with me." I kissed the top of her head.

"What about the same day we became a couple?"

"Christmas?"

"Yeah. I thought it would be a romantic story to tell in the future."

"Tell to who?" She paused and I looked down at her. I heard her sniffle, and sat us up. "Hey, hey. What is it?"

"What if we can't have kids?"

"Kids?"

"I mean, I'm part vampire. Vampires can't have children."

I realized what she meant, and smiled. "You're also part human, Ness. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And if we can't, we'll figure something else out."

"So... you do want kids?"

"I do."

"With me?"

"Of course with you, silly. There's no one else I would possibly have kids with."

Saying it made me think. That's actually not true. If Edward stayed gone when he left, there's a chance I'd be having this conversation with someone else right now.

Bella.

If her and Edward didn't end up together, they wouldn't have Renesmee. And I wouldn't have Renesmee. I'd have Bella.

"Ness..."

"Yeah, Jake?"

I paused. "I need to tell you something."

I guess she understood from my tone that it was serious. "What is it?"

"It's about your mom."

"My mom?"

"It's something that happened a long time ago. A few months before you were born."

"Mm-hm?"

I didn't really know how to continue without saying Edward left Bella. I didn't think she knew that.

"Actually, never mind. I'm sorry. I guess she needs to be with us when I tell you. There's parts I don't really know."

"Oh. Um... okay." She yawned.

"Here. Lay back down. Long day tomorrow."

She fell asleep pretty quickly. I waited until she did, then put her hand on my cheek. I loved watching her dream.