31 ∘ Kalona (RPOV)

October 6th 2016

I was waiting on the corner of a coffee shop for my meeting with Kalona. Today was the day my career started. He was supposed to give me the papers for Morrison’s project, and I wanted him to meet my family. They’d feel more comfortable with me being alone with him if they knew him.

A Mercedes pulled up next to me, and Kalona smiled as he got out.

“Hey, Nessie,” he greeted.

“Hi! How was the drive?”

“Long. Almost a hundred and fifty miles. I hate driving,” he chuckled.

“Ah. You like coffee?” I held out a hot to-go cup. Mine was almost gone.

“It’s the sole reason for my survival. Thank you. You shouldn’t have.”

“I wanted to. Ready to go?”

“Yeah, hop in.” He opened the passenger door for me, and I thanked him as I bent down.

He slid in, turned the key, then reached over to turn on the stereo. It was loud, making the car’s whole frame vibrate.

It took about ten minutes to reach the driveway. I was very careful to warn him about the turn. Most people miss it because it’s so hidden.

“Holy crap,” he exclaimed. “This is your house?”

“Kind of.”

He got out, and turned his head to question me with his eyes. I walked around the front of the car.

“I’m here mostly, but there’s a cottage a little further into the woods where I sleep.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Wow. Not what I was expecting for such a small town.”

We walked through the front door, and I was surprised when no one was waiting for me right behind it. I heard their breathing in the living room, and gestured for Kalona to follow me up the first flight of stairs.

Most of them were sitting on the couch, with Nana and Grandpa Carlisle at the piano. They got up when I came into view.

“Hi, honey,” Esme cooed.

“Hi, Mom,” I murmured as I hugged her. Pappy took my hand and I squeezed it. I turned back to Kalona.

“These are my parents, Carlisle and Esme. And these are my brothers and sisters. Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper, and Alice.” I gestured to each of them as I said their names.

“Nice to meet you all,” Kalona politely said, looking at them all briefly.

Mom and Dad came into the room, eyeing Kalona.

“This is Edward and Bella, also my brother and sister.” I chuckled.

“Hi, I’m Kalona.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” Mom said.

I was relieved when Jacob came booming inside.

“Hey!” he exclaimed, and spun me around.

I laughed. “Hi! Uh, this is Kalona. Kalona, this is my fiancé, Jacob.” Jake smiled at him.

Fiancé? How old are you?”

“Er, uh...” I tried to think quickly. I couldn’t exactly tell him I was ten.

“Seventeen,” Dad whispered, too low for Kalona to hear.

“Seventeen,” I repeated quickly after him.