33 ∘ Painful Truth (BPOV)

October 11th/14th 2016

As Renesmee’s been catching up with Nahuel and his sisters, Edward and I have been planning our trip to Denali. Her and Jacob were coming with us.

It’s been almost five years since we’ve seen them, though it hadn’t felt that long. I’d finally realized what ‘time to a vampire’ meant.

I missed Kate. Her and Carmen were my closest bond. I liked Tanya, too, but her infatuation with Edward continued, and we didn’t get along very well. Not on my part. She tried with me, at least, but I couldn’t tell if it was genuine. Edward would know. I might ask him.

Eleazar was great, but we hadn’t spent much time together since I joined the family.

They all still absolutely adored Nessie, and even referred to her as their niece. I appreciated that. Renesmee loved family. It was nice, since I’d always had a tiny family before I met Edward.

“The bags are packed,” he said as he walked inside our bedroom. I‘d just finished getting dressed. “Should we go hunting now, that way we won’t have to at all while we’re there?”

“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.”

We held hands as we ran through the forest, and he was always slightly ahead of me. I’ve never understood why he was so fast. He even beat me when I was a newborn.

“I found out more about Kalona’s birth family.”

That caught me off guard. “Oh?”

“His mother’s name was Georgia. His father’s was Daniel. They were from New York... That’s all I’ve figured out so far. It might take awhile to get back to 1898.”

“You’re doing it by yourself? I thought you’d ask Carlisle for help.”

“Normally, I would. But this seems a little private, I guess.”

I sighed. “Just promise you won’t do anything rash without telling me, okay? You’re not in this alone, I hope you know.”

He smiled my favorite smile. “I know that. Thank you.”

We extended the hunting trip, and got back on Friday, the fourteenth. We were set to leave for Alaska tomorrow.

When we walked inside, Edward tensed. I looked over in alarm, but he wasn’t beside anymore. I followed behind quickly, and when I found him, he was holding Jacob to a tree a mile from the house. Nahuel’s sisters were in front of him.

I wasn’t focused on either of them.

Renesmee was crying and I was at her side in an instant. “What is it?” I demanded in a hush.

“Stay back!” Edward yelled at Nahuel. Edward was still holding Jake against the trunk, but he was now in a protective stance in front of him.

Nahuel gestured. “He started it!”

“Like hell!” Jake counted.

Nessie was still sobbing and hadn’t answered me. “QUIET!” I screamed at all of them. They were silent. Edward and Jacob looked at me in surprise. They’ve never seen me so angry and assertive.

My voice was softer when I turned back to my daughter. “Honey. Look at me.” I waited for her eyes to meet mine. “Tell me what happened.”

The syllables that sounded from her throat made it clear that she couldn’t speak yet. I wouldn’t force her.

Turning back to Jacob, I gave him an expectant look. His skin had a reddish flush to it, and I was impressed at how he was able to control his wolf from coming out.

He was still breathing it out, so—I assume he asked—Edward answered for him.

“Renesmee told Nahuel they were engaged, and he got upset. When Jacob came home, he saw him flirting with her. It all escalated quickly from there. I’m just glad they weren’t inside. Esme wouldn’t be pleased to come home and see her furniture torn apart. It isn’t pretty when she gets angry.” He shuddered slightly.

I was baffled. Esme? Angry? I never wanted to see that.

“I—I’m sorry, I didn’t... I didn’t mean to—“

I interrupted Nessie. “No. It’s not your fault. Come on.” I guided her into the house.

Looking back, I saw Edward grab Jacob’s shoulder. He pulled him in front, so he was still between him and Nahuel, and they followed us inside.

“Don’t bother until you’ve gotten a hold of yourself,” Edward told Nahuel. I guessed he was about to come with us. Edward angry isn’t pretty, either... To most people. I shook my head of the thoughts.

I sat Nessie down with me on the couch, and she leaned against my shoulder. “He’s been here for five days. You just now told him about the engagement?”

“It’s not like I forgot. We were just having a good time getting to know each other again. I was gonna invite them all before they left, but now...”

I nodded, and ran my fingers through her hair to calm her down. It always worked. Her heart slowed.

I looked at Edward. “Why’d you do that?” I jutted my chin up to Jacob. “Protect him? He can hold his own.”

“I wouldn’t have felt the need to otherwise, but Nahuel has venom. If he got angry enough, or any more out of control and bit him, Jacob would’ve died.”

“He was just doing his fatherly duties,” Jake mocked.

“Shut up.”

Nessie giggled. I helped her sit up, and she took a deep breath. “Sorry I’m such a big baby. I cry too much.”

“Nonsense. Don’t apologize for having feelings,” Edward insisted. Renesmee shrugged.

I wanted to change the subject. “Are you two packed? We leave in eight hours.”

Jake nodded, and Renesmee said she wasn’t. Jake went upstairs to get Emmett’s suitcase for her.

“I’m gonna go talk to him,” she said. I was hesitant, but figured she could make her own decisions.

I tried not to listen in, so I started a conversation with Edward.

“Which car are we taking?”

“Carlisle’s. There’s more space for our stuff in the back.”

I nodded, and we stood up when Jacob got back down. Our eyes grew wide when we heard what was going on outside.

Maysun and Jennifer were out there with them, so we didn’t think it would be particularly rude to join them.

Renesmee took a shy step back, and Nahuel looked terrified.

He just told her he had feelings for her. Not in so many words, but enough to understand what he meant.

“Nahuel...” It seemed like she was having trouble finding the right way to word what she was thinking.

I felt Jacob heat up next to me and grabbed his hand. He had no choice but to stay put.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “You mean a lot to me. Truly, you do. I care about you... But I love Jacob. We’re getting married... I...”

He started to nod. “I knew that already. I just... needed to say it. I’m sorry. We should go.”

He started to turn, but Nessie spoke again. “Wait! I don’t want us to part this way. Please... Please understand. I can’t help the way I feel.”

“I know.” He smiled hopefully. “If you want me at your wedding, I’ll be there.”

“Of course I do. But—”

“Just as your friend. I do understand. Goodbye, Renesmee.” He nodded his departure at me before turning to run back to his home.