32 ∘ Four Of A Kind (BPOV)

October 9th 2016

“I really wish you wouldn’t stress about this, Edward. We have no facts.”

“I’m not stressed,” he said, feigning nonchalance.

I gave him an obvious look. “Jasper told me. And I know you. You’re not the expert at your poker face as you once were with me.” I took his hand. Ever since Renesmee’s new friend announced the last name he was born with, Edward worried over it.

Maybe worried wasn’t the right word, but... he was definitely not digesting it easily. Constantly going over scenarios where it could be true... it ate at him.

Edward’s head snapped up toward the front door, and I turned, assuming that Jacob was his way in—that confused and annoyed look is only reserved for him. But instead, I heard the unexpected.

It was a fast heart, quickly making its way toward the house. A sound I’d only ever heard with my daughter.

“We need to put this off,” I told him. Edward nodded. “We have all the time in the world to discover the truth. And we will.” I took a step backwards before turning around. He followed me outside after a few seconds.

Renesmee jumped into Nahuel’s arms, laughing happily. Nobody seemed to be bothered by the heavy rain.

“What are you doing here?!”

“My sisters wanted to travel. I decided to stop by and see you.” Nahuel’s face lit up more and more the longer he stared at her. “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t! Where are they?”

“Maysun and Jennifer aren’t far behind.” He glanced behind him, as if wondering why they were taking so long.

Nessie gave him a sad smile. “Serena?”

He shook his head. “That relationship will never change.”

She held her hand to his shoulder, then two pairs of running footsteps distracted her. It was quiet, then two figures walked out from behind the trees.

A smile returned to Renesmee’s face, and she ran to them. Nahuel grinned, and walked toward me.

“Hello, Bella.”

I greeted him with a smile. “Hi, Nahuel.”

Edward held his hand out for him to shake, and they nodded. I wasn’t sure why, but they weren’t very warm with each other.

It was probably just a protective fatherly thing. And even though he accepted Jacob completely, he was still reserved with him when it was about Renesmee. I guess it just came with the territory.

Edward bet that Jake would have some “competition” when Nessie became full grown. He was right, as always. I wondered what Nahuel was thinking...

We all heard Jacob’s heavy heart come toward us from La Push, and the new hybrids grew a curious expression. “Hey, guys. Where is everyone?” Jake stopped when he saw two unfamiliar faces, then rolled his eyes at Nahuel. He hated how he flirted shamelessly with Renesmee. She didn’t flirt back, but she loved to see Jacob jealous. So did Edward. I was amused as well, but I didn’t particularly like seeing my best friend upset in this way. It brought back too many painful memories from my human life.

“They’re hunting,” Edward answered him. “They should all be back in about four days.”

Jacob nudged him with his shoulder, then put his arm around me. “Why didn’t you guys go with them?”

I leaned my head on him. “We hunt more often than them, since our cottage is so much further into the forest. We’ll go on a real trip before we all leave on Saturday.”

He nodded, then sighed dramatically. “I’m gonna go make something to eat.”

“Mmm, I was just about to make breakfast. You guys hungry?” I called out behind me.

“Always,” Renesmee said. She reached out for Nahuel’s hand, and dragged him with her. His sisters followed behind, curiosity and wonder still clear on their faces.

Jacob followed me to the kitchen, and everyone else sat on the couches behind the counter.

When he was sure no one was paying attention, he mouthed the words, Why are they here? to me. I shrugged, not bothering to point out the obvious: they were visiting.

I got a vague sense of hypocrisy coming from him. He should know how it feels to be the other guy. I mean, he only did it with Edward and I for a year.

He knew Renesmee wouldn’t leave him. They were soulmates. He was the Edward in this situation. Nahuel was my Jacob to Renesmee.

Only—as far as I knew—she didn’t have feelings for him.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get here in time for your birthday,” he said to her.

“It’s okay. I know you don’t keep track of that kind of thing. Don’t worry about it.”

She was still smiling at him when I placed the huge plate on the table in front of them.