25 ∘ Hunter (RPOV)

September 25th 2016

Jake and I were walking hand-in-hand to the waterfall, our favorite place to be alone. We liked to relax before we hunted.

“How’s Alice doing with the wedding plans?” he asked, taking a seat next to me on a knocked over tree.

“Well, you know Alice. I’m sure it’s going great.”

“You haven’t made any of the decisions with her?”

“I gave her a list of a few things, but she insisted on taking care of everything herself. I’m honestly relieved. She can handle the stress.”

“Stress?” He looked down at me to give me a puzzled look.

“Well, I would be too worried about doing everything perfectly. It would eat me alive. And according to everyone, Mom and Dad’s wedding was beautiful, thanks to Alice.”

“It was, so I’m sure ours will be, too.”

I raised my eyebrows. “You were there?”

He chuckled. “Briefly.” I was still confused, but he continued before I could ask. “It was after the ceremony and toasts. Nobody saw me. I danced with your mom... Then as usual, she pissed me off, so I left.”

“What? What did she do?”

“Um... that’s not important.”

I scoffed. “Jake, come on.”

“You ready to go?” He stood up.

“Jaco—” He phased, cutting me off. I sighed, and ran after him. There goes another shredded outfit.

He wasn’t going at full speed, so I caught up to him easily. We heard an animal, and he slid his body to the left, halting to a stop. Jacob growled, but I took the running start. He barked a cough at me, his wolf way of laughing.

We slowed down as we were closing in on the animal, and I hid behind a tree. Jake nodded his huge head to me, gesturing that I go first.

I started to climb up, but I didn’t get too high before I crouched on a branch, ready to spring. Just when I was about to pounce, Jacob howled, and took down the deer.

Jake!” I whined.

His muzzle was covered in blood when he grinned at me. It would have been scary, but his tongue lolled out the side. I giggled, then lunged for him.

“Traitor! He was mine!” I pouted.

His heavy tongue wiped across my face and I gasped, standing up again. “Gross, Jacob!” I spit, trying to get the blood out of my mouth.

I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Waterfall,” I ordered, keeping my eyes closed so no blood got in them. He understood what I wanted, and placed his nose on my stomach. Jacob lifted me onto his back, and I held on tightly to his fur as he ran back the way we came.

Instead of dropping me off at the bottom, he made his way to the top. I was about to protest, but it was too late. He leaped off the cliff, and we were flying, plunging down to the lake. I held my breath just before the surface hit my face.

When we were under, I opened my eyes again. Jacob was further down than I was, his heavy body sinking him towards the floor. I wiped my face to clean the blood off, then swam up for fresh air. I did need oxygen to survive, but I was really good at holding my breath. Mostly thanks to my father, but also for spending so much time in this water.

Jake came up next to me, and shook his head.

“That was so not funny!”

His laughter made it clear that he disagreed. I splashed him, then dove back under.

This was my absolute favorite thing about living in Forks. Of course, I loved being close to Grandpa Charlie and my wolf family, but this was unlike no other. I sat on the bottom, feeling the grass sprouts and slimy rocks. I looked up to the surface, where the sun was shining. I could tell it was getting ready to set.

My wolf was swimming back down to me and I smiled when he laid down. I leaned against his neck.

We gazed at each other and I was tracing random patterns along the fur on his face. I didn’t know how many minutes had passed, but my lungs were starting to burn. I kissed his nose, then pushed myself up to get some air.

I gasped when I found the top. Feeling very peaceful, I leaned back. I felt Jacob under me, and he pressed his back against mine, keeping me afloat. He kept his nose out so he could breathe.

More time passed, and I started to reposition myself. Jake lifted himself out of the water to face me.

I smiled so big that my cheeks hurt. “I love you.”

He phased back to his human form to respond with words. “I love you, too.”

I giggled, and reached out to hug him. He kissed me and I couldn’t help wrapping my limbs around his body. He was still able to keep our heads above water just as easily.

Then I realized. “Oh, my god, Jake.” I chuckled nervously.

“What?”

“You’re naked.”

He widened his eyes for a second, like he forgot, too. We were so caught up in our little moment.

“Oh. Right. Sorry.” He started to untangle me from him, but I firmly placed one hand on the back of his neck. The other was exploring his shoulder muscles, and traveling down his back.

“Sorry? Why?” I asked innocently, trying to keep a straight face. Of course I knew why. We had been together for almost three years and were now engaged. Regardless, we hadn’t seen each other naked.

He caught my hand before it got too far down. “You know why, Ness.”

“Unwritten rules.” I rolled my eyes as heavily as possible. “What’s your problem, anyway? We’re getting married in ninety-one days.”

He smiled at my specific number. “I know that. Your dad would kill me.”

“I don’t see him here.”

“That doesn’t matter. He’d see it in my head. And yours. Every detail.”

I widened my eyes, and sighed. That’s gonna suck. “That’s inevitable, I guess. So what difference does it make?”

“Well, when we’re actually married, he can’t do anything about it. But until then...” He tried to untangle me again. I grudgingly let him.

“You should know by now that he wouldn’t actually hurt you. It would hurt me. And Mom. And... it would hurt him, too. He loves you. He’d regret it.”

“Maybe so, but I don’t feel like dying today, regardless. One slip up is all it takes.”

“What are you talking about?”

“If he gets so mad, even for one second... and he bites me? I’m done for.”

I pulled my eyebrows together. “What—”

“Vampire venom. It’s toxic to wolves.”

It took me a moment to find my voice again. “Why has nobody told me this?!”

“Never came up, I suppose. Your mom found out late, too. She reacted the same way.” He looked up, and I realized it was dark out now. “Come on, we should head back.”

He phased back to a wolf before he got out of the water. We got to the cottage when the moon reached its apex. I assumed Mom and Dad were at the main house, so I told Jacob to shower in mine, and I showered in theirs.

When we got out, we watched a movie in my room. I was unconscious before it was over.