24 ∘ Affection (RPOV)

September 25th 2016

“Renesmee.” I heard a quiet voice from the bottom of the stairs, and lifted my head from my wolf’s shoulder. His head was tilted back on the couch and he was snoring. I shifted my eyes from the television screen to look at my dad.

Yeah? I asked him in my mind. I didn’t want to wake Jacob.

“I need to speak with you.” He nodded his head, gesturing for me to follow him upstairs.

He grabbed my hand before we walked up together, stopping at his old bedroom. I sat next to him on the gold bed.

“What’s up, Dad?” I asked timidly. This was unusual. He’s never had to talk to me privately before. Anything he shared with me, it’s been out in the open, around everyone else. We didn’t have secrets in this family.

“I just figured it was time for us to discuss this.” He knew I was about to ask what ‘this’ was, and beat me before I could. “You... getting married.”

“Oh. What about it?”

“Even though I know everyone can hear us, I thought it best that we do this alone.” He turned more toward me, and leaned back against the bed post. “Now, you know how much I love you. Almost how much, anyway. I promise, it’s much more than you fathom. And even though I’ve never said it out loud... I love Jacob, too. Like a friend, and a brother... and a son. We definitely did not start off on the right foot, as you’re aware of. I know everything about him, mostly because I can hear his mind, which is how I know just how much he loves you.” He squeezed my hand, and I took a deep breath. “I know I can trust you with him. He’ll protect you no matter what... He’s the best person for you. No one could amount to him.”

My heart skipped a beat, and I smiled. “Aw, Dad. I had no idea you were such a softie.”

He chuckled and playfully nudged my shoulder. “You’re... my little girl. It breaks my heart that I have to let you go soon.”

“You can’t get rid of me that easily.” I rolled my eyes. “I’ll always be your little girl. Don’t forget that.”

His eyes melted into mine before he embraced me. It had been too long since the last time we hugged.

“Aww. You guys are so cute.” Emmett’s guffaw came from below us, in the kitchen.

“Shut up,” Dad and I mumbled simultaneously. After a few moments, we went back down. Mom squeezed us all together when we reached the bottom of the stairs, obviously having heard our mushy conversation. She kissed my head before letting us go, and we started back to the living room.

Jacob was around the corner, smirking. “I heard that.”

“Don’t,” my dad threatened.

“You love me,” Jake continued anyway.

“Then don’t get on my nerves, dog.”

He held his hands up. “Okay, okay...” He waited until Dad barely walked by him before adding, “Love you, too, Dad.”

“Ugh.”

My mom laughed melodically, and I joined her. This was the side of their relationship I loved. No matter how much they got on each other’s bad sides, they couldn’t deny how much they cared about the other.

“My boys.” Mom ruffled their hair, having difficulty reaching Jacob’s. They chuckled, then Jacob kissed her cheek before my dad grabbed her hand and swiftly took her away.

“How much of that did you hear? I thought you were sleeping.” I sat next to Jacob on the couch again, leaning heavily on his shoulder.

“I was, but I could tell when you were no longer there. It made me anxious; it woke me up.” He sighed.

“Why haven’t you told me that before?”

“You never asked.” He grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m sorry. If I had known, I would have—”

“Don’t worry about it. It’s been like that ever since you were born, so it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to.”

“I’m sorry,” I said again.

“Hah.” He kissed my cheek, and I turned my head so I could reach his lips.

He roughly placed both hands on either side of my face, and I sighed as I flipped my small body over his lap.

A few moments passed before he reluctantly pulled away. “Ness,” he mumbled.

I grumbled. “You’re no fun.”

“I know.” He chuckled lightly, pushing a lock of my hair behind my ear. “Not yet, anyway,” he added quietly. I don’t think it was meant for me to hear.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Jake?”

“Uh... we can talk about it later.”

My eyebrows furrowed together, but I nodded.

“Wanna go hunting?” he asked suddenly, probably trying to take my mind off of it.

“I guess.”

He lifted me off of him, and I held his hand as we walked out the front door together.