3 ∘ Surprise (BPOV)

September 11th, 2016

“You’re too early!” Alice was upset. My daughter and my best friend stood in front of her.

“It’s not our fault you can’t see us, Aunt Alice.” Renesmee laughed her musical laugh. It was identical to her father’s. I smiled adoringly.

I was suddenly confused. Why was Edward so angry? What did I miss?

“Mom!” After she engulfed me in a hug, I kissed the top of her head.

“Happy birthday, Renesmee.” I pulled back and her smile made me forget all about my worries. I wouldn’t ruin a fraction of this day for her. I would wait until Edward and I were alone again and ask him then.

“Okay, okay, change of plans! Nessie, come with me. You need your birthday hat.” Alice walked over to her to drag her away. Before Renesmee let go of me, she sent a thought.

Wish me luck.

I laughed. “I would if I could,” I mouthed.

“Jacob,” Edward said.

Jacob dropped his huge grin the second he set his eyes on him.

“Okay, enough.” I turned around, grabbed one of their hands, and stomped outside.

Pulling them in front of me, I let go of them and glared. “Are you guys serious? It’s been eleven years. I thought you guys got past all the drama. It’s Renesmee’s birthday! You guys need to pull it together.” I paused. “Jacob. What did you do?”

“Nothing! I didn’t do anything!”

“Yet,” Edward growled.

I dramatically covered my face with my hands. “Oh, my god. You guys know I can’t read minds, right? Can someone fill me in?”

“Go ahead, Jacob. Tell her.”

“I was only thinking about it, calm down. It makes sense. You know it does. What’s the problem?”

“Guys!” I was getting frustrated.

Edward finally looked at me. “He’s planning to propose.”

I was lost for words. I didn’t know how to feel. I had to admit, it was a little weird. I accepted it a long time ago that he would end up with my daughter, but... it’s my daughter. It’ll always be weird.

On the other hand, I know how happy he makes her. That’s ultimately all I care about. We all knew what her answer would be.

Renesmee still doesn’t know everything that happened between the three of us before she came along. She barely knows all the problems Edward and I alone faced before she came along: James, Laurent, Victoria... She doesn’t even know that Edward left me after my eighteenth birthday.

Not that she had to know. But I planned on telling her eventually. Maybe a few more centuries... Maybe.

“You... You what?”

“Our three-year anniversary is coming up soon. I thought it would be a good time.” He paused and it was quiet. “Should I not? I actually was planning to ask you guys first, Edward. You should know me better than that by now.”

“He was caught off guard, Jake. Don’t be upset with him. And Edward, you can’t be upset with him, either. You and I both knew that this was gonna happen. Maybe a little sooner than I would have hoped, but—”

“Oh, please. He proposed to you a year after you met, and most of that year you two were apart.” Jacob flinched when he realized what he said, but quickly recovered and got to his point. “I’ve known Nessie for a decade.”

“And for most of that decade, you were only an uncle figure to her.” I softened my tone when I looked back at Edward. “Her happiness is what matters above all. We agreed we’d always do what would make her happy.”

“I know... I know.” He kept his eyes down for a few minutes, then sighed. He clapped Jacob on the shoulder. “You have my blessing.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“No!” And with that, Edward walked back inside.

When he was out of sight, I laughed. I held onto Jake’s other shoulder while I bent over.

“Okay, maybe that was a bit much.” I kissed his cheek once I caught my breath. “But you have my blessing, too.” I started walking back up the front steps. “And, Jake?”

“Yeah?”

Never call me ‘Mom.’”

“Wouldn’t dream of it, Bells.” He rolled his eyes. “I’m not psychotic.”

“I’m not so sure about that,” I joked.