36 ◦ Nature (BPOV)

June 18th 2007 — FLASHBACK

Edward’s fingers moved gracefully along his piano keys. My head was on his shoulder as I sat next to him, letting the music drown out everything else.

We were the only ones in the house. Rosalie and Alice were shopping in Seattle, and Emmett was hunting with Jasper.

Carlisle and Esme went to the family island for two weeks, and were now on their way home.

Just as Edward finished my lullaby, we heard Carlisle’s Mercedes get off the highway and make it’s way down the long, curvy driveway.

We walked out to greet them, and when Esme stepped out of his car, Carlisle took her hand. “Where’s Renesmee?” he asked.

“Hunting with Jacob. They should be back soon,” I told him. Edward glanced at me just as we heard Jake’s voice in the distance.

“Come on, Ness! You gotta eat.”

“No!” she yelled at him. “They don't deserve this. And this one likes me.” She giggled.

We had been trying to get Renesmee to feed on animals with us for weeks, but she had shown a complete lack of interest. She didn’t like the way they smelled—like us. Also like us, she preferred human blood.

It was impossible denying her, so she usually had her way with that. Be that as it may, we couldn’t give up trying.

According to Edward, she hated hurting the little creatures. She played with the rabbits instead of draining them. The deer didn’t run from her like they ran from us and the wolves. Though frustrating, it was adorable.

Carlisle chuckled. “She really is something, that one.”

“She sure is,” Esme added.

“Should we help him?” I thought about all the ways Jacob could persuade Renesmee to turn dark on the forest animals, and smiled. I couldn’t see him being successful. We were in for a long haul with our little girl.

“He’ll figure it out.”

Carlisle and Esme went inside, and we stood on the front steps. It was quiet now; Jacob and Renesmee had moved further away.

Edward’s hand rested on my cheek, and I couldn’t help leaning into him.

“I love you,” he whispered, his voice soft yet firm.

The corners of my mouth lifted, and he hugged me close.

Our chests held their own together, both void of a beating heart.

His frozen heart owned mine. It was that simple.

“I love you.”

“What say you and I find our daughter and save her from Jacob’s wrath?”

I laughed quietly, a short huff of air out of my nose that was barely perceptible. I lightly pushed him back, still smiling as I stood straight again. He caught me by surprise by tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear, and I froze.

He didn’t say anything. He just gazed at me.

I knew what he was thinking, though. It’s what we all were thinking.

We were safe. It was real. We could be truly happy.

And we were.

“Race you!” I didn’t bother waiting for him to reply. I needed the advantage.

He caught up quickly. I lengthened my strides to gain altitude as we climbed the mountain. Edward was better on foot, and he fell a little behind when I pulled myself up every twenty feet.