41 ◦ Haunted (RPOV)

January 25th 2017

I didn’t know where I was. It was dark; the only light around was miles in front of me. I started to run, and it took me longer than it should’ve to reach it.

The forest I just came out of stretched behind me, disappearing. I was suddenly in an old town, with no one around. Stone buildings surrounded me, and I realized I was sitting on a fountain. The large clock tower behind me tolled. The sun grew hotter, and I felt sweat dripping down my face. How odd.

I heard crying, and turned to see a baby wrapped in a blue blanket on the stone ground. He was beautiful. His eyes were chocolate brown, and his skin was a pale bronze. I walked slowly toward the child, wondering who could have possibly left him here. But as soon as I was about to touch him, he was gone.

The crying in my ears stopped, but was quickly replaced with screaming. I whirled to the sound, and saw three cloaked figures with their backs toward me. The sound came from the other side of them. Before they could start running away, I yelled to them.

“Wait!” My hand stretched toward them, but froze when they turned around. I saw their faces now. Faces I recognized. Faces that had once haunted me for so long.

One had silky, straight, pitch black hair that reached his shoulder. The man next to him stood tall, and large. The one closest to me was a young girl, who had honey brown hair. Though she was smaller than me, she stared me down, a cruel smile appearing over her stone face. They all had three things in common: their pale complexion, their blood-red eyes, and their long black and red robes.

“No!” Another voice called out from my far left, and we all turned our heads to see a beautiful blonde woman. She was rushing toward the cloaked monsters, her tortured eyes focused on the baby in Aro’s arms. He stopped screaming when he saw her, somehow knowing she was there to save him. “Let him go!”

Jane silenced her, and now the woman was screaming. She dropped to her knees, and her hands wrapped around her head. I yelled at Jane to stop, but she acted like she didn’t hear me.

“You know the consequences, Cheyanne.” Aro said, bored. He barely turned his head to his left, and whispered, “Felix.”

The large man stepped out in front of the other two, and quietly made his way to Cheyanne. I knew what his job was, and panicked.

“No! Don’t!” I ran to them as fast as I could, but I felt like I was slowing down. Like in a dream, when you would run away from danger. You would never get away in time.

But I was running towards danger.

No one else was having a problem with their speed as I was. Felix had no trouble towering over Cheyanne, cupping her head in his hands, and ripping it from her shoulders.

I stopped fighting the current, and I turned back just in time to see the baby staring at me. Now that his mother couldn’t save him, I must.

Jane had other plans for me. While Aro and Felix were leaving the town square, she stayed behind. I wanted to run after them, to retrieve the baby, but I couldn’t. I felt a searing pain in my head, and knew immediately what was happening. There was a piercing noise coming from somewhere, yet I couldn’t see anything but the girl in front of me.

Jane was smirking at me, and I closed my eyes. I felt a heavy weight lifting out from my lungs before I understood why. The piercing sound was me.

I was still screaming when I opened my eyes, shooting up to a sitting position. I was in my bedroom now.

“Renesmee!” My father’s distraught voice slightly calmed me. He was sitting on the edge of my bed, his right hand pressed against my cheek. I stayed here last night because Jake had wolf business to deal with at Billy’s.

“Daddy?” He knew what happened as well as I did. He saw the whole thing in my head. But where was Mom?

“She was with Alice at the main house, waiting for Jake. They heard you and are coming back now. Are you okay? Honey, come here.” He pulled me into his arms and I cried. “They’re gone. You’re safe now.”

“It was so real.” I could barely understand myself under the sobs.

“I know. I know. But you’re all right,” he whispered. He was rubbing circles on my back when the front door slammed open.

My mom’s voice was frantic. “What happened?!”

Dad and I lifted our heads to look at her. Alice was behind her, but not Jacob. Mom’s eyes widened at the sight of me, and I assumed my eyes were bloodshot from the tears.

“She had a nightmare. She’s okay.”

Mom sighed in relief, taking our hands in hers. A moment passed, and everyone calmed down a little before they stood back a few feet. I was confused until I heard a painful howl, and knew they were giving Jacob some room. He ran to me immediately.

“Ness?! What—”

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” I assured him. He sat in front of me, and I let him lean down to rest his head on my shoulder. We both tried to calm our breathing, and closed our eyes. When I opened mine again, my parents and Aunt Alice were gone.

“I’ve never heard you scream like that before... What happened?”

“I’m sorry for frightening you. I had a nightmare.”

“Do you wanna talk about it?” He lifted his head to look into my eyes. I’ve never seen him so worried, so sad...

“There’s not much to say, really... It was the Volturi.”

He sighed. “They’re never coming after us again. You know that, right? They have no reason to bother us.”

“Yeah. I don’t know why that happened.”

He kissed me, and stood up. “Why don’t we get your mind off it? Wanna watch a movie?”

I smiled. “Yeah, that sounds nice.” He held out his hand, and we walked outside together.

“Race you!” I called, and started running.

“Yeah, right!”

He phased, and I ran with my wolf to our home.