{Peck On The Nose.}

Start from the beginning

He rolled his eyes and grinned, “You take one look at a male Jaguar and you're head over heels.”

I scoffed and hit his arm, “Shut up. Of course that's not the reason. This family has lived here for fifteen years, Kave. They know how to control themselves and we can finally settle down somewhere with their help.”

“From what I heard, dad old friend Jared hasn't shifted in two years and the mom? Six years.” he whispered. “How do you think they do it? I feel like I have to shift at least once a week, I wouldn't survive that long.”

I shrugged, “I don't know. Maybe they got use to it.”

He stared at me for a moment, “Maybe things will finally change, Thalia. No more running. At least one of us will be able to finish school.”

I frowned at him since Kavan couldn't graduate school even though he wanted to. He couldn't control his instincts and we moved the last quarter. He just decided to stop going and he started working with dad at his construction jobs. Kavan was very smart in school though, he always passed everything. He didn't even need to study which I envied him for because I could study for hours and still only get a C on a test. Mom and dad didn't finish school either.

He reached out and put his hand on my shoulder, “Hey, cheer up. It was my choice and I can always go back to school in the future. Get my GED and everything settled.”

Rosa ran back into the room and held her skateboard out, “See, isn't it cool. I don't know how to ride it yet but I’m practicing. Zander won't teach me, so I guess I have to learn myself.”

Kavan bent down, “Well it's your lucky day. Until I find work how about I help teach you? I can skateboard real good.”

Rosa eyes widen, “Really?”

Kavan nodded, “Of course.”

*

I was sitting on the swings of the porch as everyone inside was 'celebrating'. I wasn't very much in a celebrating mood because all I could think about was my birthday coming. I pulled my sleeves over my hands to warm them up since Jaguars don't like the cold. We love the heat but living in warmer climates like California or Florida wouldn't be the best place for us since lots of other Jaguars mostly live there and not allot of like each other unless we have a reason to trust each other.

My dad and his friend Jared became friends once when my dad lived in Idaho but after a year Jared had to leave town and they haven't seen each other since today. I brought my hand up to my mouth and looked up at the moon and thought about the history of Jaguar. It all started with the Aztecs and as Europeans came over, they all breed with each other until mostly every culture these days were Jaguars but we all have one linked connecting us. We all have Aztecs roots.

I don't know if I'm ready for my sixteenth birthday. Back in the days, that's when you were considered an adult and fully matured enough to become a Jaguar. I don't think I could do it though, I'm scared. It not that I don't want to be one but becoming a Jaguar means allot of things. We have to control our tempters, don't get close to humans, when we shift we have no control and can easily kill, and making sure we keep the culture alive. Some Jaguars don't care, they'll shift every night without worrying and my dad doesn't want us ever to be around them.

I heard the door to the house open and my heart sped up when I saw Ander walk out. He gave me a small smile before walking over and leaned on the rail of the porch, “Is it strange for you?” he asked.

I eyebrows furrowed together, “What do you mean?”

“A big reason for moving you guys in here was so we can get to know each other. Our parents are trying to set us up.” he said, his smiling disappearing from his face. He didn't seem very happy with that and probably came out to tell me to don't get my hopes up.