note: this chapter was written with much care by -jellybish , who sadly made an early departure from the writing process of this story a couple of chapters in. i ask that you do please give her as much support as @yoojuns and myself !
_________

Tuesday, October 1st

Felix was painfully aware of the soft golden light streaming through his window. It had appeared about an hour ago, gradually brightening his room as time went on.

He had woken up hours ago, full of energy, but he never bothered to get out of bed.

Felix lifted his phone to his face, peering at the clock on his lock screen. The numbers read 6:45 AM. He doubted his mom would get up anytime soon, which meant he'd probably have to walk to school.

Sighing heavily, Felix attempted to rub the sleep out of his eyes. A throbbing sensation had started in his temple and was slowly spreading across his skull, settling behind his tired eyes.

Felix looked at his phone again. 6:47 AM. He swiped open his phone and sent a quick text to Chris.

u at school yet?
sent 6:47 am.

bang bang 🤡:
nope. slept through my alarm
sent 6:48 am.

lol, again?
sent 6:48 am.

bang bang 🤡:
shut up. you need
something loser?
sent 6:48 am.

can you give me a ride?
sent 6:49 am.

bang bang 🤡:
what am i, your chaperone?
sent 6:49 am.

please? 🥺
sent 6:50 am.

bang bang 🤡:
i'll be there in 20
sent 6:51 am.

Felix smiled triumphantly at his phone, sitting up and slinging his legs over the edge of his bed. He stumbled across the room, pulling on a pair of blue jeans as he went.

By the time he reached his closet, he had decided that he wasn't going to put any effort into today's outfit.

Felix picked out a yellow sweatshirt and slipped it over his head, pausing to fix his mop of ginger hair in the full-length mirror behind his door; it was still damp from his shower the night before.

Felix slowly swung open his door, careful not to let it creak too loudly. His steps barely made any sound as he crept across the halfway and into the bathroom.

Flipping the switch on, he squinted in the harsh blue light as he splashed cold water onto his face. His flushed reflection stared back at him while he brushed his teeth and attempted to towel dry his tangled locks. They had managed to curl themselves during the night, leaving soft waves to frame his face.

Felix's phone chimed with a new text message, alerting him that Chris had just pulled into his driveway. He laced up his sneakers and slung his backpack over his shoulder before hurrying out to meet Chris.

As soon as he got in the car, Chris handed him a steaming mocha and turned up the radio.

"Thanks," Felix yelled over the blasting music, shooting him a soft smile, "you didn't have to do that."