Caught In A Predicament

Arthur carefully peeked one eye open. It was still quite dark despite it being past six o'clock. It was understandable, being December and all, but that didn't make it any less annoying. Waking up for school, only to find it as dark as it was when you went to sleep makes you want to curl back into bed and sleep till it's bright out.

But he couldn't sleep in further, he had a job to do!

Twisting his head back to gaze at the Frenchman beside him, he made sure Francis was still fast asleep so his plan could work without interference.

He gently lifted the covers over him, just enough to not disturb Francis' side and slithered out of the bed and hopped into his feet.

He held in a sigh of relief and tip toed out of what used to be just Francis' bedroom, until Arthur invaded his personal life.

He knew Francis would never agree with his plan, if he found out what he was doing, he would lock him in his room and put him in a straightjacket for good measure.

But Francis didn't know, and he was determined to not let him find out. He had to use this chance while it lasted, he thought, as he sloppily cracked an egg into the bowl with the flour.

He'd watched Francis cook so many times that he was itching to try it himself. Francis made it look so easy, and while he knew it would be nowhere near as easy for Arthur as it was for the his boyfriend, he was still sure he could do it.

It wasn't just his longing to try out what he had learnt that fueled him, he wanted to make something for Francis.

Francis had always been so nice to him, he did everything for him without accepting anything in return. Well he was going to show his appreciation, and the least he could do was make breakfast for him. The last time he tried to cook for him hadn't turned out too well, but this time he was set on making it a success.

After making four pancakes that, in all fairness, only got burned a little bit on one side and was completely edible! He was proud of himself, and he couldn't wait to see Francis' reaction to his successful breakfast.

Making sure to put the more appealing side on top, he then drizzled some maple syrup on the stack to complete it and brought it to surprise Francis with.

When he opened the door, Francis was awake and sitting up wearily with a confused look on his face, probably due to the aroma of cooking when he wasn't the one doing the cooking. When Arthur walked into the room with the plate of pancakes, Francis looked ready to jump out of his bed and tackle him to the ground for cooking.

"Before you say anything! I didn't burn the kitchen down, I cleaned up and put everything back where I found it," Arthur blurted out, and urged him to sit back down calmly.

"Wait..." Francis rubbed his eyes vigorously, then looked back at the plate that Arthur placed on his lap. It smelled quite appetising, actually. "Am I dreaming?"

"Yes, why? Don't believe this masterpiece in front you?"

"Ah well... This looks... Edible."

"You don't have to belittle me that much..." Arthur defended haughtily, crossing his arms and tutting.

"No no, I'm just... Did you really make this for me?"

"No Francis, I made it for John across the street. Of course it's for you, idiot!" Arthur stated sarcastically, huffing wearily at the look of disbelief on Francis' face.

"And why today of all days?"

"Well, I had the idea yesterday night... And Christmas is only two weeks away, so consider it an early Christmas gift."