Book 2: The Path to Destiny

PROLOGUE.

Leaving her second home, Havillah ventures forward to the unknown. With a companion on her side, she journeys forward to find answers. Unknown enemies, familial ties and a past that continues to haunt her are but a few of the challenges that she must face to find the answers that are now within reach.
***

THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS,
The Eastern Wind, Triberias.
2420 A.A,

"How could you?" an affronted Elder Tamaar raged as she confronted the old geezer. The idiot that had been trusted to look after her daughter, to teach her and show her the ways of the Ancients only for him to go around her and stab her in the back. He had betrayed her and her daughter by setting her up and dragging her before the council. One that he had influenced in order to keep her out.  

"You knew she was special and yet you set her up!"

"I have no idea what you are yapping on about." he smiled as he waved a careless hand about. "The only thing that was special about your 'precious' girl were her crystals but even that, I cannot say was something to brag about." he added laughing in the face of Tamaar who was raging so hard that her form was hovering high enough to tower over the sick monstor. "And to think that she had thought that she had kept it a secret!" he laughed like the maniac he was.

"You old fool! You might as well have doomed as all." Tamaar hissed as she took a step forward to confront the offending Elder.

"Tamaar! Lionel, cool it off!" the Chamberlain barked out as he dragged his weary bones into the inner confines of the council chambers. He was not old. No, not at all. Although his age was a high number, his looks remained youthful.
However, the weight of his mantle, the burden and his responsibilities weighed him down. So much that he feared his blood was not strong enough. He could blame it on his heritage for his blood was not purely that of a Chosen.

His early ancestors had been sanctified, but he, not yet. Still, he had been the only one in his line. The only direct descendant of the line of Sanctuary Helpers and Chamberlains and it was his mandate as well as a prestige to hold this office.

"He didn't send them, I did." the Chamberlain said as he lifted his hand to stall Tamaar when she made a move to speak up again. "Her scales were moving and the Gates of Triberias have been sealed," at this statement, the entire council of Triberias nodded with understanding even as his gaze swept on from one Elder to another before resting on a still offended Tamaar. "so Tamaar... it was the only way I could check on her and check why."

"How could you! You betrayed me! You doomed my daughter by setting those damned things upon her! Wasn't it enough that you went as far as to occupy me when you chose to sentence her? You sent the Swarm in to finish her?"

"I understand your sentiments as mother but again, your accusations are unfounded. You see, the hedge has been activated and that alone proves what I was out to find out." the man dealt the final brow, putting it so plainly and so simply that the weight of those words was almost lost to those who had heard him.

" They are all vanquished?"

The Chamberlain nodded as a thoughtful silence took over the congregation that included the Elders, the Deacons and all their assistants.

The words sunk in and murmur rose up among the souls that were present there. Who whispered with comments of varying degrees until one such soul finally spoke up.

" Either Elder Lionel taught her so well..."

"Or someone is helping her." Elder Lionel concluded with his signature sinister look now gracing his features.

"And you know what happened to the other scale..." the Chamberlain continued. He had thought hard about it, but it was unavoidable. With the way things had panned with the other scale, this was not a risk that the Sanctuary could afford to take. They had to stop her.

"No!" Tamaar took a menacing step forward.

"What other ending is there?" Elder Lionel derided.

"No! Not to my Havillah!" with that, Elder Tamaar stormed out into the corridor with every intention of leaving the city.