Soft

Before Stiles could even get his car door closed, Derek was apologizing.

"I'm so sorry. I told you she would be awful," Derek looked at Stiles with a worried frown.

"It was rough, but I think I managed okay," Stiles gave a shrug. He was pretty fried. He hadn't slept well and then he had tried to work on his lesson plans and then had to deal with a very emotionally draining person, it took a lot out of Stiles.

"Okay? You were great. The fact that you wouldn't let her bully you into claiming you loved me... you have no idea how happy that made me. And my dad likes you, and he doesn't like anyone, not even me," Derek gave a laugh, but Stiles noted how it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"I'm sorry you and your dad have such a tense relationship," Stiles offered gently, not wanting to upset Derek further.

"It's okay, I don't know why it bothers me so much. Damon was always dad's favorite, it's not like that's something new. Cora was of course mom's. Dominic was always Nana Hel's until he married Ben. Laura had been close to papa, but he died when I was young. Hayley hated not being the favorite, but I didn't mind. That was until I saw how close Erica was with her parents. I couldn't handle being my mom's favorite, but dad...I tried. I did everything he wanted. I dressed like him. I walked like him. I went to business school. But I was too...soft," Derek frowned at the word.

"Soft?" Stiles repeated.

"It was the word my dad used to describe me a lot. I was too nice to people. Too forgiving. I finally grew to hate him. I know he's my dad and I shouldn't but... I was too pathetic in his eyes. So, after I got my business degree I went to culinary school. I enjoyed it but I still wasn't happy. Erica finally helped me realize I was only doing things that my family wanted, not what I wanted. So, when she told me she was moving here, I followed. She'd always dreamed of living in Seattle and owning her own bar. So that's what she's working towards. I love bartending. I get to create these different drinks and meet all these different people. It doesn't pay what my parents want it to, but I actually make pretty decent money. Enough to be more than comfortable."

Stiles wanted to reach over and take Derek's hand in his but there was no one to act for so he refrained. "I don't think you're soft. Not in a bad way. Soft can be good. Soft causes you to adopt a homeless kitten. Soft helps those homeless people that you donate to. Soft makes your nieces and nephews excited to spend time with you. Soft isn't inherently a bad thing."

Derek parked in front of their apartment building and turned to face Stiles, "Thank you, Stiles. For everything. You've made dealing with my family just a little less terrible and you're really a great friend. I hope when all this is over you and I can remain friends."

Stiles stomach twisted. Friends. "Of course," Stiles gave a forced smile. It hurt to be constantly reminded of how fake all of this was, at least he would gain a great friend out of the whole thing. The only problem with that was he was falling for the great friend. This was a fun ride, but the landing was gonna hurt like a bitch.

-

Stiles managed to take up Derek's entire coffee table with his papers. Derek had invited Stiles to do his planning at his apartment so that when his sisters arrived, it looked natural.

Stiles had agreed, maybe a change of scenery would help him focus. He had been wrong. Derek was a walking distraction.

"Was it Laura that liked Asiago cheese or was that Cora?" Derek asked Cathedral quietly, as he worked diligently in the kitchen.

"I'm pretty sure that it's Laura. Well I'll just use Asiago and then muenster. I know the kids like muenster."

Stiles couldn't help but smile, "You always talk to the cat while you cook?"

Derek blushed slightly, peering over at where Stiles was sat at his couch. "I guess I do, yeah."

"I think it's cute."

Derek gave a shy smile as he dropped his eyes back to what he was doing. It had been so long since he had company other than Erica that he forgot his habits. It really was like he was dating Stiles, only instead of being three months in, like they claimed, they were basically strangers.

"I'm sorry if it's distracting you," Derek glanced back up then, realizing that was probably the case.

"No, it's fine. This particular lesson isn't my favorite so I'm kind of trudging through it. Makes me glad Lydia is teaching it for me," Stiles grinned up at Derek, relaxing him slightly.

"Thank you again for doing this, I know it's a lot to ask."

"I'm the one who got me into this mess," Stiles laughed, "And honestly, if it helps take some pressure off, I'm happy to do it."

Derek smiled widely, "Man you really are the best fake boyfriend. It makes me wonder how Theo could have ever left. If fake dating you is this great, I can't imagine how great real dating you is."

Stiles stiffened slightly, but it went unnoticed. Stiles carefully covered his discomfort with a gentle laugh, "I have my down falls."

"I have yet to see one," Derek objected.

"I have a habit of leaving my wet towel on the floor. I thrash a lot in my sleep. I can't cook. I get overly excited about things that don't warrant it. I'm too passionate about baseball. I analyze everything and everyone. I can't leave work at work so I often work at home and I have ADHD. Just to name a few of things Theo disliked."

Derek frowned. He didn't even know this Theo guy, but he really disliked him. "A towel can be picked up, no big deal. Thrashing in your sleep means your tense, that's not your fault. I can cook so you don't have to. If something excites you, it warrants it, period. Being passionate about something isn't a bad thing, it means that something makes you happy. I think it's endearing when you analyze everything and everyone. And your job is important, it requires a bit of extra attention and that's okay. And having ADHD is an illness not a problem. Being mad about that is like being mad about someone having a sore throat."

Stiles raised his brows. "Are you trying to convince me to date you, Derek?" He laughed.

Derek's stomach dropped. Oh shit. It had sounded like that. He had to back track. "I already am," Derek winked hoping that would do the trick.

Thankfully a knock on Derek's door interrupted their conversation causing both men to deflate with relief. This was getting harder.

*AN*
Enjoy!