39.

Adam:

I changed into another pair for the night. Mikalya had been in Christina's room the whole day.

I don't know what was bothering her. I picked up my phone. Mikalya and Neva were staying in for Christina.

"Son... You are coming?" Mom asked.

"Yeah," I said putting on my shoes.

"Still a child," she said as I struggled to put my feet in my shoe.

She sighed and bent down to help me out.

"Before, we had An..." her voice stopped abruptly as she covered up, "... Other person as your caretaker when you were 3...i still have her phone number,"

She looked up at me.

"Mom... It's alright if you mention Annalise. It's a past I can't change."

She looked ta me before holding me by the shoulder.

"Adam... I saw Annalise here... I am sorry. Its my fault that I brought you here."

"Mom... That way, Anna is all over the world... I will face her sometime or the other."

"I didn't think that you had matured up."

"I will still be that little baby who would cry every time someone punched me."

"And I would swoop in like Batwoman to save your butt."

I laughed at her remark as she kissed my forehead and ushered me outside.

"Adam," Emmet called me.

"Hey," I replied hugging him. He looked at me.

"Did you suffer amnesia? We already did this before," he said.

"Bromance," I said as he smiled pushing me away.

"You are a pervert," he said. I grinned.

"Adam?" Nick called out. I turned to look at him. He approached me with calm and cool strides. They didn't show his mood. He didn't stomp like angry Clara speaking of whom, I need to make it up to her.

"I'll give you guys a minute," Emmet said as I dragged him by his hand.

"Nope... Stay here," I said. He stood behind me.

"Nick... Nice to meet you," I said smiling.

"Weird but alright I guess... Also, Annie told me to warn you that you should not mess with Clara..." he said.

"Well you can tell her that she knows how to break relationships that are strong. I have always preserved them," I replied.

"Hansen... Seems like you have grown a sharper tongue," Nick says.

"Truth hurts I know," I replied.

"Well if I were you I'd watch your mouth," he said.

"Well you can't be me, I guess," I said still smiling.

"That Ego Hansen... Big time," he said.

"Well... It took time for me to build that... Oh you would know that since you always eyed someone else's girl." I said.

"Adam... Don't stray too far," Nick warned.

"L. O. L." I said.

"You are past the gone Adam... No point in saving you," he said before walking past me. I waved my hand still grinning. He sighed disgusted.

"Adam... Don't you think that you should stop this enmity?" Emmet asked.

"Junior... I have been in this game for longer... This is life advice and perhaps I gotta give that 'freaking Annie lover' a point that he had the audacity to talk to me," I said.

"Adam... Tone it down," he said.

"He calls her Annie like she is a freaking Barbie doll," I said putting my hands in my pockets.

"Senior... I don't know," Emmet said.

I stood in front of the staircase. Clara walked down and I looked at Emmet. He was starstruck.

"If eyes could impregnate, Clara would have been tones of times," I whispered to him. He took his eyes off her and looked other way.

"I'll leave you alone this time," he said.

Clara caught my eye and she walked even faster. Little did she know that walking in stilettos on a staircase whole being a danger magnet isn't a right choice.

"Watch your step," I said as I hurried over to her. She had her gown on the tip of her heel.

"I don't need your help," she said as she bent down and lost her balance.

"Whoa... Easy Mississippi," I said. She looked up at me and her face remained emotionless.

"Come on Clara... Please," I said.

"Is there something wrong?" Iona came up next to Clara.

"It's fine mom... Just some sharp licked mosquito in my way," Clara said.

"Hey Ma'am... I am the Mosquito," I said.

"Adam... How have you been?" Iona asked.

"You can have the merry chat Mom... I am going," she said walking in long strides.

"What is wrong?" Iona asked me.

"Everything," I replied as I rushed after the tail of her red ombre gown.

She walked outside the hall towards the starry night

"Stalker much?" she said turning back and folding her arms.

"Clara... Please?" I asked her.

"Why do you still need me? Don't you have Christina to cover up for Clara?" she said.

Ouch, that hurt. The second stab.

"Believe it or not Clara... There is only one person that can never be replaced that is you," I said. This was the truth.

"Well Hansen... You have the money... Find another one..." she said turning back and walking.

"I don't think those stilettos are a great choice in the moist and soft snow."

"Oh! Don't you tell me what to do!" she said turning in a circle almost losing her balance.

"Experience is the book that I have learnt Clara... I'll help you," I said putting my hands out to her. She thought for a moment before placing her small hands in mine.

"Clara... You'll always be unique for me and no one can replace you..."

"Why did you do what you did back in the board room?" she asked.

She rendered me speechless as she scoffed.

"I am sorry," I said.

"I guess your 'sorry' sums it up," Clara said.

"Clara... Please," I pleaded. I couldn't bear to see her go away.

"I am not that stubborn but this one was really major Adam... How could I let this go?" she said.

"I know I fucked up. Big time... I know... I know I am a disappointment but please Clara..." I said. Tears welled up as she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Don't leave me like Anna did," I mustered up the courage to say that.