CHAPTER 5

Rest of the day Carlisia unpacked her remaining suitcases while her mother and even Ben babied her. Practically running after her and getting her anything she wanted, so she didn’t have to move at all. It was awkward but very sweet at the same time.
But from time to time she would go and stare at the forest outside of her window.
Something felt so different, so foreign about it. As if it was holding a big secret.
Elijah and Ruben had left the house somewhere around one in the afternoon and still weren’t back till now, seven in the evening.
It bothered her how calm mom and Ben were about it and every time she tried to ask where they were gone, she would get an irrelevant or no answer at all.
It bothered her that Ruben and Elijah’s disappearance didn’t bother them at all.
She sat in the sofa in front of the window in her room, after having dinner with her mom and Ben and no Elijah or Ruben.
A book was in her hand but it had failed to occupy her mind as she peeked at the forest out of her window every once in a while.
Something about the forest fascinated her, pulled her towards it.
She didn’t know what it was but she knew it had something to do with the lies her brother told her. Maybe they lied to her for her own sake but what possible danger would it be if they had told her the truth?
I mean it wouldn’t have mattered if that guy wasn’t a doctor but then there wouldn’t be an explanation for him to be in her room.
She takes a deep breath and looks out of the window again, expecting to look at the same ordinary forest but this time something caught her eye.
Just at the edge of the forest she saw a figure run by with inhuman speed behind the trees. Followed the figure were the dark outlines of three furry doglike figures, chasing it.
She quickly got up and leaned her torso out of the window, watching the last glimpses of the cat and mouse game before they disappeared from her line of vision.
Carlisia stayed like that, her torso out of the window as she looked at the forest with curiosity and tried to make sense of the scene that happened seconds ago.
What were those things in the forest?
Sighing Carlisia got in and closed the window but continued to look out.
It was dark and silent, the only noise being the faint chirping of the crickets.
Minutes went by with her standing in front of the window, looking at the forest but nothing happened. A yawn escaped her lips and she finally decided to go to bed when suddenly a figure walked out of the forest, only for her to notice that figure was in reality a man, maybe twenty three?
His back was to her but she could still make out his pale skin and inappropriate sense of dressing. The man was wearing a long coat over his hidden attire in the scorching hot night.
She silently watched the man as he looked at the forest before taking off his coat and throwing it on the pavement, rather arrogantly. The back of his white shirt was blood stained making Carlisia’s eyes widen and causing her to gulp.
She looked at the man, scared as he walked back to the forest, cracking his knuckle, causing her heartbeat to quicken.
He was about to enter when suddenly he stopped and swiftly turned around, making her heartbeat stopped.
He stared at her but the only thing she could make out about him was his pale skin and his blood soaked clothes.
He grinned at her, an evil grin.
Keeping eye contact with her he reached down to the side of his shoes and took out two daggers.
As soon as her eyes landed on the shiny objects the color drained from her face. The man waved the daggers at her and was about to run back into the forest when a large wolf burst out ripping the man’s head off, causing a yelp from Carlisia as she clamps her hand on her mouth as she took deep breaths, trying desperately to breath.
Even though she succeeded her breathing was heavy and no later tears began to stream down her cheeks.
The golden fur of the wolf was shining in the moonlight. The wolf was big but not as big as the black wolf she had seen on her arrival here.
The golden wolf snarls at the dead body of the pale man, his head thrown to the side. Three more wolves come out of the forest two brown ones, one of which as profoundly injured and limping, and then there was the large black wolf she had seen.
The black wolf was much bigger than the other ones but Carlisia was too shocked at the moment, her eyes fixed at the headless body on the pavement.
She wanted to run away call the police, or animal control in this case but it was like as if she was nailed there, paralyzed.
She just stood and stared at the wolves who showed no mercy to the poor man.
The black wolf looks at the body and then turns around making eye contact with her making her heart stop.
She stood there speechless as the remaining three wolves’ disappeared bowing to black one while it stared at her.
Carlisia was scared of it, that it might jump through her window and rip her head off like that poor man but she couldn’t dare move.
The wolf stared at her for a few more minutes before finally taking of his gaze from her and howling loudly before running into the forest, leaving her there, in fear.